Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

What are YOU buying YOURSELF for christmas ?

I've been looking at cheap quadcopters for a while. But I want decent camera and I don't want to pay lots of money :-)

So the other day i was disenfecting a clients computer and browsing amazon and youtube while I waited.
    And I bought one of these (and six spare batteries).

Very cheap. But takes some pretty decent video and seems to fly outdoors quite well. Good enough for me anyway.
    Plus i can make spare bits. people keep complaining that the camera points too far down. So I think my first mod will be an adjustable camera cradle (I actually want it pointing further down). I also have a tiny hd camera (weighs about 10 grams) that will be able to point straight down. So I'll make a cradle for that.
    Im also going to make some landing gear from the flourescent yellow pla. So that i can tell which direction it's pointing at a distance.

Ok it's not a gps enabled 11mp camera on a motorised gimbal like the DJI phantom. But then I don't have £1000 to spare :-)
    £75 for the quad and 6 spare batteries and a 4 at once charger. Will do me :-)

Plus there's some pretty decent video these have taken on youtube.
    Certainly good enough for what i want it for. Which is just aerial views of my local environs.

You'd think the buggers would modify the soundtrack though :-)

So what did you buy youself for christmas ?
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-15-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Thats about $110-120 US?

I've been planning to make my own, since I already have TX/RX's from the model yachts I race, so I'll just need a few parts to print my own, and probably be less than that. But I haven't gotten into details yet, if anybody knows of any good sites that has info on DIY type copters (I know theres a lot, but I'm looking for 3d printing specific), give me a yell please. I've actually worked out a good bunch of the logic to make it autonomous to chase the boats as we race. Couple arduino boards and some GPS.....

That would be what I buy myself for Xmas, if I get to it. But the printer a few months ago was my early xmas gift.

Senior Engineer
    I treated myself to an Ardrone2 a few months ago. Had it, flew it, sold it all in about 3 weeks.

They are pigs to fly.

Staff Engineer
    For myself? Just a few tabletop wargaming minis, I don't really have a whole lot of wants when it comes to things.

Most of my shopping for others' gifts is done before Halloween, though I did brave the holiday crowds to do some toy buying for a local charity.

Gotta get some dose of the holiday insanity or the time of year just doesn't feel right.
    Last edited by Feign; 12-15-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    [QUOTEMost of my shopping for others' gifts is done before Halloween,][/QUOTE]

lmao - hell i haven't even started yet !

Follow rvanwaes On Twitter
    Halloween? Yeesh. I'm with aardvark and have some work to do

for me - need myself a new hotend. Time to upgrade to E3D v6

Add bford903 on Facebook
    I'm buying myself a new watch timing machine. I'm restoring a Hamilton wristwatch from the 30s so I'm pretty sure I'll need it. My old one was a loaner and the owner came calling recently.