Close

Print quality question (Flashforge Dreamer)

Hi,
    I own Flashforge Dreamer for few months now and I have been trying to figure out on why some of my prints look like this. They are printed with PLA, heated bet 60C, 210C, print speed 80mm/s. I have Simplify3D as well and the result is about the same.
    First, the printer failed to produce clean round below the 'eyes' and the 2nd picture shows some wavy layers.
    So I would like to ask the experts on why the prints are like this and maybe some suggestions to make it better.

I attached the photos of the prints.
    Design can be found here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:331035

makerfaire robot 1.jpgmakerfaire robot 2.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Does your Dreamer have the fan on the side of the left extruder? Have you tried that same print with different material? I print PLA at 200c/40c speed 40mm/60mm.....I will try and print this on my Dreamer later tonight and see how it does...

I've got a Dreamer, and I have ABS loaded in both extruders right now. I'll give this a try printing and see how it turns out on mine. I'm curious to look at it anyway; I want to see how they built the articulated limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenmel08 View Post
    Does your Dreamer have the fan on the side of the left extruder? Have you tried that same print with different material? I print PLA at 200c/40c speed 40mm/60mm.....I will try and print this on my Dreamer later tonight and see how it does...
    Thanks. Yes, there is a fan attached to the left of dual extruders. The PLA I used was from Inventables.

Engineer-in-Training
    Looks like a support issue. As in, not enough of them. Without active cooling overhangs can be tough to get printed nicely. The big clue was the back of the arms. Try printing it again with support under all the overhangs and/or add an active cooling fan and duct to your printer. Either option should improve the results.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    Looks like a support issue. As in, not enough of them. Without active cooling overhangs can be tough to get printed nicely. The big clue was the back of the arms. Try printing it again with support under all the overhangs and/or add an active cooling fan and duct to your printer. Either option should improve the results.
    Thanks for your suggestion. Actually I used this design:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:539127

So it has litte support. I printed this to test the overhang quality but turned out not very satisfactory. My biggest question mark is the uneven round shape around below the eyes. It's probably the filament? Any other reason that may cause this?

Thank you.