Close

Dual extruder -- need to add holes in one model for flush contrasts?

So, here's what I'm doing: I have a flattish box; 80 x 50 x 5. I have letters that are 2mm tall on one face and letters 2mm tall on the opposite face. I've done them as two STL files:

1. STL model with the words. One set of words is on the platform, 2mm tall. Other set of words is 2mm tall and raised 3mm from the platform.
    2. STL model of the box itself, just the dimensions listed above.

In Simplify3D it centers the two together, and I've got separate processes printing each model from a different extruder. White for the words, red for the box.

However, it's putting down the first layer as all red -- then starting the white letters in the second layer.

Is it necessary to make a hole in the box which aligns with the letters? Or is there a way to override in Simplify 3D and say, "Where these are flush, one process/extruder has priority?"

You could, as a test, switch the letters and box so that the red extruder prints the letters and the white extruder prints the box. That would tell you if there is an extruder priority for the printer. If there is, just swap the spools so that the prioritized extruder is printing the letters in white.

Or perhaps it has to do with which file you add to the print bed first (though I don't use S3D so I don't know if that applies).

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DrUsual View Post
    So, here's what I'm doing: I have a flattish box; 80 x 50 x 5. I have letters that are 2mm tall on one face and letters 2mm tall on the opposite face. I've done them as two STL files:

1. STL model with the words. One set of words is on the platform, 2mm tall. Other set of words is 2mm tall and raised 3mm from the platform.

In Simplify3D it centers the two together, and I've got separate processes printing each model from a different extruder. White for the words, red for the box.

However, it's putting down the first layer as all red -- then starting the white letters in the second layer.

Is it necessary to make a hole in the box which aligns with the letters? Or is there a way to override in Simplify 3D and say, "Where these are flush, one process/extruder has priority?"
    Not sure, in Makerware it simply goes off the height, if my print was doing as yours is above, I would raise my text slightly until it didn't print the alternate colour for the base layer (and the raft too)
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrUsual View Post

Yes you need to have recesses that match the text. otherwise it tries to fill the space with both the text and the object. Had the same trouble when i was playing about with dual colour business cards. The one with text embedded in a solid face was awful. The one where I used text shaped voids was pretty good.

Easy to do with openscad - can't help on other cad packages :-)

S3d just isn't that great at dual extrusion.

Can't say for makerware - haven't done that much dual extrusion.