Close

GRASP, 3D Printed Prosthetic Hand Startup

We have seen 3D printed prosthetic hands almost make it into the mainstream over the last year, mainly due to an organization called E-nabling the Future. One college student who is missing his left hand has decided to create his own company to help those seeking a custom prosthetics, and giving the ability to them to purchase one for just $300. The company which is called GRASP will even have a mobile application, allowing people to take photos of their arms and then have a hand printed by sending those images to the company. More details on Jordan Nickerson, the founder, and the company can be found here: http://3dprint.com/12266/grasp-3d-printed-prosthetic

Below is a picture of Nickerson and his 3d printed hand:

Shouldn't they credit the source of the IP?

3D printing prosthetics is a great idea. But all they appear to have done is downloaded and printed a copy of e-NABLE's designs, without crediting them, and used that to raise money. Note that you can download and print the designs for free from http://www.enablingthefuture.org already, and the added parts are only $40 (foam padding, screws, control line). And there are over 1,000 volunteers registered with e-NABLE that are happy to print prosthetics for those that need them for free. So if they're going into the business of commercially selling what e-NABLE is giving away for free, that's likely relevant to the story.

Lightbulb Synergy? I might be able to help with your organization...

Hello,

My name is Nickolas Urino and I am with an organization called, "50 Legs". We assist children, veterans, and people in general attain prosthetics who can't afford them. As a former Marine in Force Recon, I have had Marines from my own unit in fact experience the difficulties associated with such a life changing event and some of the various struggles involved when trying to adapt to a prosthetic. Recently my little cousin received a prosthetic due to a surgery that went wrong on his foot, in which my family had to pull together and rely on one another to come up with the funds to afford one. The price of a simple prosthetic, with such limited mobility is absolutely ridiculous. So what you guy's are doing is great. I have a couple of ideas that I would like to talk to you about that could prove to be very beneficial. Please contact me when you get a chance so that I can go into further detail.
    You can reach me at my office at 877-262-2231 at extension 178 or email me at nurino@bobcad.com.

Thanks,

Nickolas Urino