Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

XYZPrinting announce a 3d food Printer

At a press event in Taiwan , Mr Shen from XYZPrinting announced that their company is working on a 3d Food printer. They plan to launch the printer for the common public by June 2015.

I am not too excited about the Idea of 3d printed food, What about you ?

Source : http://bit.ly/1A7oUBn

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Food I'm ok with. Food from XYZ? meh.

As soon as you use a food supplier not officially approved by XYZ, they remotely inject arsenic into the print so you can't eat it.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    As soon as you use a food supplier not officially approved by XYZ, they remotely inject arsenic into the print so you can't eat it.
    Just so everyone's clear, that was a joke (right?)...

It's a sad state of affairs that it's a believable joke.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Not quite sure after they've gone all 1984....

As much as I have come to despise the company, the product itself is pretty solid. It's a great beginners machine, has worked out of the box, pushing 175 hours now, only needed a few calibrations.

3DPrintBoardPro Member car3less's Avatar
    Follow car3less On Twitter Add car3less on Facebook Add car3less on Shapeways
    But the idea of printing food is awkward!!! I think a machine can't mix ingredients better than a person. This is what usually makes the food special. Am I right?!?!
    Investing time and money to make a printer just to print something, anything, it's a loss. With or without arsenic. ))
    Printare 3D Bucuresti

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

Staff Engineer
    I know it can feel like that, car3less, but have you tried some of the Watson recipes? For a supercomputer with no authentic tastebuds, it knows how to make an awesome cherry cobbler.

On the other hand, Watson can do the things it can do because it has a wide palette of spices and ingredients to work with in a chef's kitchen (or in my case, shopping list). A printer by necessity would have a limited, perhaps highly limited palette of flavors to choose from, and there's not a simple set of flavor molecules you can mix like there are colors with a color printer.

By the time you have a printer that could actually make a whole menu of items, you'd also have to worry about maintaining dozens of different build materials. Just look at the Coca-cola Freestyle machines when someone is replacing a cartridge, it's insane in there, and that only makes sweet drinks.

3DPrintBoardPro Member car3less's Avatar
    Follow car3less On Twitter Add car3less on Facebook Add car3less on Shapeways
    Just read about it on pcworld. Interesting.. A printer would be like adding Chef Watson some hands
    Printare 3D Bucuresti

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by aamit81 View Post
    At a press event in Taiwan , Mr Shen from XYZPrinting announced that their company is working on a 3d Food printer. They plan to launch the printer for the common public by June 2015.

I am not too excited about the Idea of 3d printed food, What about you ?

Source : http://bit.ly/1A7oUBn
    Only if it can be used by 3rd world countries to create food, I see it as simply a gimmick for everyone else to be brutally honest. Even the use of it in space (which is cool) still requires all the ingredients to be specially manufactured and then transported up there and all for the sake for saying we did it...

I would prefer the geniuses out there would do it for the sake of people needing food, but I guess that's just a silly notion in today's rampaging economy.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    And you will only need to bake or boil the food before consuming it.”
    So it still need to be cooked.
    I guess if you can't cook, this might be useful. But for me it'd just slow me down and probably not be terribly hygienic.

What on eareth is a watson ? (goes to look)
    A computer that does quizz shows.
    Can't find any mention of food.

I guess if you analysed every recipe on the internet you couold compile a fairly useful set of algorithms to determine what went with what.

But without working taste buds, it'd be average at best.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Watson's current "job", I believe and I could be wrong, I read the articles ages ago, is to create new recipes based off of current recipes found across the internet. It's using the same logic that allowed him to win Jeopardy to accumulate data across the net. Apparently he's pretty good at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast