Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Just curious...since there has been a decent discussion of firmware in this thread:

Once I get the box'o'stuff for building my 12" i3v, I plan on running my printer with Repetier-Host/Slic3r since these have worked so well with my first printer. I've done some looking on the web and haven't found any definite instructions on getting this software running on a Rambo board. Specifically I'd like to see a procedure for loading whatever drivers, other support programs, etc. in a step-by-step, easy to follow sequence that will help someone who isn't familiar with the process to get up and running from scratch (for example - me, once I get the previously mentioned "box'o'stuff"). Has anyone any information or a process/procedure for doing this? I'm not sure but it looks like Repetier-Host has or needs it's own firmware? BTW, if there is a thread already existing on this here, let me know - I did a search for "Rambo Repetier" and all I got was this thread and the one complaining about the EZ3D printer...

And if a procedure doesn't exist for this specifically, I'll be happy to write one and share it here once I figure it out. But anyone who can help with info on how to do this, I'd like to hear from you! BTW, I just got the email from Colin that my printer has been shipped, should be delivered Saturday!

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
    ... I plan on running my printer with Repetier-Host/Slic3r since these have worked so well with my first printer. I've done some looking on the web and haven't found any definite instructions on getting this software running on a Rambo board. Specifically I'd like to see a procedure for loading whatever drivers, other support programs, etc. in a step-by-step, easy to follow sequence that will help someone who isn't familiar with the process to get up and running from scratch (for example - me, once I get the previously mentioned "box'o'stuff"). Has anyone any information or a process/procedure for doing this? I'm not sure but it looks like Repetier-Host has or needs it's own firmware?
    Not necessarily the exact answer you are looking for, but... Repetier-Host doesn't require use of special firmware. Repetier does have a firmware build of their own, but you don't have to use it and no one has posted here about loading their i3v with it. Once you have the USB interface set up, you should be able to run Pronterface, Repetier-Host, or other host application without issue. The download for Repetier-Host installs everything you need (except maybe the USB driver - I don't recall on that), including both Cura Engine and Slic3r slicers. FWIW, the RAMBO board is just an integrated, single board approach to what is often a separate MEGA2560 processor board, RAMPS expander board, and four stepper motor driver boards. So, RAMBO firmware is basically a variation of RAMPS firmware. There may be other differences, but one difference is that RAMBO uses a digital/firmware adjustment (probably using gcodes) for stepper motor current limit (these are trimpot adjustments on RAMPS). The MakerFarm i3v-12 goes a step farther, configuring Marlin for the graphic LCD panel. There is support for countless variations built into the Marlin source code - these are just a couple. By manipulating the contents of the Marlin configuration.h and configuration_adv.h files, you can build firmware for just about any kind of printer running any kind of electronics.

As far as configuring Repetier-Host, I've focused on Cura Engine as my slicer but a recent post in my build thread (see link in my signature) walks through pretty much every RH-Cura setting as I currently have them. Use or ignore as you see fit. I should be adding a similar listing for the RH-Slic3r settings to that post in the next couple of days.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-17-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Not necessarily the exact answer you are looking for, but... Repetier-Host doesn't require use of special firmware. Repetier does have a firmware build of their own, but you don't have to use it and no one has posted here about loading their i3v with it. Once you have the USB interface set up, you should be able to run Pronterface, Repetier-Host, or other host application without issue. The download for Repetier-Host installs everything you need (except maybe the USB driver - I don't recall on that), including both Cura Engine and Slic3r slicers. FWIW, the RAMBO board is just an integrated, single board approach to what is often a separate MEGA2560 processor board, RAMPS expander board, and four stepper motor driver boards. So, RAMBO firmware is basically a variation of RAMPS firmware. There may be other differences, but one difference is that RAMBO uses a digital/firmware adjustment (probably using gcodes) for stepper motor current limit (these are trimpot adjustments on RAMPS). The MakerFarm i3v-12 goes a step farther, configuring Marlin for the graphic LCD panel. There is support for countless variations built into the Marlin source code - these are just a couple. By manipulating the contents of the Marlin configuration.h and configuration_adv.h files, you can build firmware for just about any kind of printer running any kind of electronics.

As far as configuring Repetier-Host, I've focused on Cura Engine as my slicer but a recent post in my build thread (see link in my signature) walks through pretty much every RH-Cura setting as I currently have them. Use or ignore as you see fit. I should be adding a similar listing for the RH-Slic3r settings to that post in the next couple of days.
    Thank you Printbus, I'll definitely be looking into your link and reading up on more info relating to the Rambo board and getting it up to par for what I want to do once I get to that point. BTW, just an FYI - my experience with 3D printers is limited to just the Printrbot Simple, although I've been using/modifying/upgrading it for the past year now. I didn't have to do anything with firmware to the stock Printrboard that it came with, just configure R-H for the Simple's print volume and other related PLA set-up parameters and then set up Slic3r, so the whole firmware thing is rather new to me. I've never had any problems with R-H/Slic3r which is why I'd like to continue using it with the Makerfarm i3v. Now that my printer is on its way I want to get prepared for the build. I appreciate your help!

...I didn't have to do anything with firmware to the stock Printrboard that it came with, just configure R-H for the Simple's print volume and other related PLA set-up parameters and then set up Slic3r...
    Once the printer is up and running, that should be all you need to do for the i3v-12 too. It's unfortunate that MakerFarm isn't shipping the RAMBO preflashed with turnkey firmware. That can be a significant undertaking by itself for someone new to Arduino and Marlin.

The MakerFarm i3v-12 goes a step farther, configuring Marlin for the graphic LCD panel. There is support for countless variations built into the Marlin source code - these are just a couple. By manipulating the contents of the Marlin configuration.h and configuration_adv.h files, you can build firmware for just about any kind of printer running any kind of electronics.
    One more thing - does the Rambo board as supplied with the printer already come with firmware pre-loaded so all we have to do is load R-H/Slic3r? I thought the manual for the Rambo said we need to load the firmware before the printer software, but maybe I mis-read something. Or is there an additional firmware file needed for running the LCD that is already loaded or needs to be loaded? Thanks for your help!

(and sorry for all the questions)

BTW - the general opinion on Arduino IDE versions is that 1.0.5 is where it's at, not the latest IDE available from Arduino. I think there have been a few people using the latest IDE (and any updated math libraries etc. that go with it), but the general recommendation is to stick with 1.0.5 for Marlin for now as a stable, proven version to work with.

One more thing - does the Rambo board as supplied with the printer already come with firmware pre-loaded so all we have to do is load R-H/Slic3r? I thought the manual for the Rambo said we need to load the firmware before the printer software, but maybe I mis-read something. Or is there an additional firmware file needed for running the LCD that is already loaded or needs to be loaded? Thanks for your help!
    I can't keep all these simultaneous builds and build threads straight. This thread, and possibly others, are suggesting the MakerFarm RAMBO board does not come with the proper firmware preloaded. Issues with the LCD interface support is the specific issue with the preloaded firmware. What this means is that you have to obtain the proper source files for Marlin (Colin would provide you a link to these; it's been said the link in the i3v-12 build guide gets you to the right source files). The files should have the configuration parameters already pre-set (right board type, right display type, print bed dimensions right, etc.). You have to load these Marlin source files into the Arduino IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that you've also downloaded and compile ('verify' in the Arduino language) them, using numerous library type functions included in Arduino libraries for the AVR processor used on the MEGA2560/RAMBO type of board. Then, also through the Arduino IDE, you flash (or 'upload') this into the AVR processor on the printer. Wanting to run RH or Pronterface does not require any additional changes to the firmware installed on the printer.

EDIT: The as-delivered firmware in RAMBO might be configured for no smart panel (ie, no LCD and no SD card), or may be configured for the more common 20x4 character LCD. Or maybe there's no firmware installed at all. I'm not sure anyone has figured that out. It's possible that the as-shipped RAMBO will work fine with RH or Pronterface, and that the display and/or SD reader might be all that doesn't work.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-17-2014 at 12:03 PM.

No worries, I'll go back through this and some of the other threads I've read. I've also downloaded the manual for the Rambo and I'll probably be contacting Colin as well - I'll figure it out . Thank you for your help, and I may post a little guide for newbies like me when it's all said and done...

No worries, I'll go back through this and some of the other threads I've read. I've also downloaded the manual for the Rambo and I'll probably be contacting Colin as well - I'll figure it out . Thank you for your help, and I may post a little guide for newbies like me when it's all said and done...
    The rambo firmware needs to be flashed. The link to the source is in the build log as well as the windows driver. Download the Arduino 1.x software directly from arduino's website. You will need to download the u8glib library to compile.

In the build log there is a tutorial on how to flash the ramps boards with firmware. The process is basically the same, but you need to use the firmware for the rambo instead of the ramps and use the newer Arduino software. There's also information on how to install the rambo driver and get the com port in the guide.
    Last edited by razer1141; 12-17-2014 at 01:33 PM.

I skipped ahead a little to write this... Ill go back and read/edit if needed.

Google reprapelectro rambo 1.1b user manual

it has a full writeup on flashing firmware to the board. Including setting the board as rambo in the dropdown in the arduino software.

edit: http://reprapelectro.com/wp-content/...ser-Manual.pdf

supposedly if the board isnt registered as rambo in the arduino software the screen may not work. I followed the user manual just in case...
    /end edit:

The board does not come with firmware preinstalled.

On my phone atm or i would just post a link.
    Last edited by sniffle; 12-17-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast