Close

Student
    Follow sharon On Twitter Add sharon on Facebook Add sharon on Google+

Best value open source 3D printer

Hello guys!

I would like to get some recommendations for choosing an open source 3D printer.
    I am interested in experimenting with new printing materials in the format of a filament spool tech. (FFF).
    I would probably need to be able to play with simple variables such as :
    heater temp (100-240 C), ability to use a variety of materials, speed on different axis, speed on curved lines and so on.
    It's also important for me that the interface would be user friendly, like the reprap perhaps?

Could anyone recommend me the best value-performance open 3D printer for my needs?

Thanks!

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    SeeMeCNC.com has been very good to me.

Student
    Follow sharon On Twitter Add sharon on Facebook Add sharon on Google+
    it dosent say that if its open source or f there are options to change variables.

1. Heater temperature.
    Not really an issue as any hot end will produce the temperatures you want in the 100-240C range and could possibly go higher. The extruder temperature limits are set in the firmware. The to get higher temperatures you only have to change the figures in the extruder temperature maximum line. This, of course, requires that the heater resistor in the extruder can manage to heat up to higher temperatures. Also the thermistor which is monitoring the temperature needs to be able to handle those higher temperatures.

2. Once again, the speed of each axis can be set within the firmware, or can be altered if the need arises by either using your PC to Printer interface program, or by using a manual controls on your printer LCD display.

3. Interfaces are usually easy to use. A lot of users of Open Source stuff are happy with Pronterface, but, as with all things, otheres will reply here that the interface that they use is better than the one the other person uses. It's a free world here, so explore recommendations.

4. You will require software that generates the instructions to operate your printer to produce the object you want to print. This is called Slicing software. Once again, there are a number of Open Source programs, each with its own supporters and detractors. This is one piece of the printing puzzle that you will have to practise with so that you learn what you can an cannot achieve with your particular printer.

5.. You didn't mention it, but if you are going to be experimenting printing with different materials you must first decide on the extruder diameter (1.75 of 3.0 mm) as this affects the physical dimensions of the filament you purchase.

6. As to the best value for performance, if you start with a printer priced between $US500 and $US 1000, you will get a printer that will be complex enough to teach you how to operate a printer; handle most commonly available filament printing material and be easy enough to make minor modifications to it as required. I'm not going to recommend Brand X over Brand Y. However, I suggest that you start by researching the individual printers which form this sub-forum http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...s-amp-Hardware

Be sure to come back here for help. It's readily given.

Old Man Emu
    Last edited by old man emu; 12-12-2014 at 06:53 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    get a delta kit.
    Mind you the resin kit (just add projector lol) on seemecnc. com looks good.

Most consumer end 3d printers are open source.
    It's the easiest way to copy designs and most are copies of proven succesful designs.

What's your budget ?