Close

Help a Newbie: Any Tips and Tricks for the Flashforge

Hello all!

I recently purchased a flashforge creator after a year of researching and finally gave in. But, now I'm posed with the task of learning how to operate and fix any problems the machine may have. So, this leaves me with one question for everyone on here: What tips and tricks would you give a person who's completely new to 3d printing? Whether it be just a link to a good thread, an informative article, a personal opinion, or anything youve figured out from using 3d printer, or more specifically the flashforge creater. Any help is appreciated, I look forward to readong your responses!!!

Sincerely, Tanner.

Specific Questions:
    After assembling my printer, and downloading software etc., what is the first thing I should do to set up my printer?
    Leveling the print bed, any tips?
    What brand of ABS and PLA filament is the best? I know that not all filaments are created equal. Whats your experience with different types, and what is the best brand to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Level the bed several times , When you think its good level it again.....I have had great success with the filament from www.makergeeks.com Even their house brands of ABS or PLA print great......I have recieved a couple rolls that i didn't think were up to par so to speak color wise and they made it right very quickly....After all is said and done ......Level your bed one last time......Good Luck and let the Fun begin....

Engineer-in-Training
    As a fellow newbie to printers (and a fellow creator owner, my first printer as well) I can tell you that experimentation is the key to learning with these things. It's tempting to ask for the "answer" to fix whatever problems your having or the magic setup to avoid problems in the first place and I have done so several times. unfortunately every printer, every spool of filament, and every model being printed is different so there is no "answer". There is guidance for sure and asking questions helps to steer your experiments in the right direction but eventually it comes down to printing parts and seeing if the slight changes you made had an effect. It's a daunting task because prints can take hours or more at times but imo it's the only way to really "learn" what the machine is doing and how to predict/correct problems before they occur.

Also, make sure you level the bed, not sure if that was mentioned above

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it. My printer came yesterday and...(after levelling the print bed ) printed my first object ever! I used the creator right extruder test print and it turned out great, minus a tiny bit of curling that was easily fixed with, you guessed it, levelling the print bed! Then, I printed a tiny little companion cube and all was amazing and awesome and I love it!!

Again, thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. Gunna keep the thread open just in case theres anything else people think I should know.

Technician
    Yes, practise, practise, practise is the key.
    There is a potentially a magic formula for successful prints that's for sure, but it is different for near enough each print.
    Varies by the plastic you are using, what colour it is, who supplied it.
    Then the models themselves - especially when you are printing something flat and in ABS you get warp/shrinkage to take into account too.

I found it really useful to trial print the same item as something I have done previously (something small like a calibration cube or I use a round tube model I have made that is quite light on material usage - its a part that I know fits on my vaping pipe so I can tell if its shrunk or warped by attempting to fit it ) when switching materials to something new. Gives you a good benchmark to start with.
    I try to then save the settings I used and label them accordingly when its up to standard what I want. For example I have a setting saved as "White PLA - Right - Glass Bed Green Tape - High Quality" or "Ninjaflex - Left - Standard Bed Kapton - Medium Quality", which I have tweaked after various trials. First describing the material, which extruder, bed setup (with/without glass, what tape if any, gluestick applied etc) and the print quality (layer height). I just then pick those settings when starting anything new and add support on/off.