Close

Student

Tempature of an item during use, how hot is too hot?

I am interested in printing some items for use with heat or used hot.
    Things like some steam engine parts, coffee mugs, covers and shields for near engines and exhaust.

I found a filament seller on Ebay says,
    * ABS filament is 210~260C, the idea temperature is 230C.
    * PLA filament is 170~240C, the idea temperature is 210C.
    * HIPS filament is 210~260C, the idea temperature is 230C.
    * Nylon filament is 220~260C, the idea temperature is 240C.
    200 degree Celsius = 392 degree Fahrenheit, and of course I'd need to stay well below that I am sure to prevent melting or softening warping etc.

What would be a safe temperature to use printed items at though? I am thinking most things would be made with ABS and perhaps Nylon for some items.

Can I print items that are food safe? Coffee mugs, drink bottles, cereal bowls, etc... and I also have thoughts for some cooking items like molds for eggs and cookie cutters.

Would I need special filament for food safe or is most safe? What about Microwave and dishwasher safe?

I have many items I want to make, and almost as many questions also. LOL
    I looked into 3d printers awhile back and at that time they were far too costly to buy and operate so I did not get one then, but I have been thinking of all the things I want to make! I see now there are several ways to get into 3D printing for around $500 or so. After Jan 1 I hope to buy a great 3d printer or build one.

As for a steam engine. It would only be running on about 10-15psi, but I don't know how hot it would get. My metal steam engine I will test for operating temps when I get it running again. My real thought on this though is I think I can print the engine to be used as a compressed air engine only, then use some of the printed parts to make molds to cast parts in aluminum for the steam powered engine.

I don't know if anyone else has tried it yet or not, but I think a plastic toy steam engine would make a great toy if built well and used a blown up balloon for the air power. Along this idea I also have an idea for a pump up air powered steam car, it would be pumped up similar to pellet rifles. Other than small parts, the air powered steam car/engine would be safe for most children to play with.

Staff Engineer
    The glass temp where the plasitc is melted enough to print is not the safe use temperature of the plastic. While most of them have a glass temp above 200C, temperatures down in the 170s will cause all of these plastics to warp and deform. For a reference, to cook food, you want a temp around 190C, a dishwasher generally runs at 170C. Neither of these will melt your objects into a puddle, but they will leave said objects with divots and warping from wherever the part was supported. Also, most thermoplastics absorb and contain water, so they will heat up in the microwave as thoroughly as your food.

Long story short, keep thermoplastics away from cooking.

PLA is technically non-toxic, but there is debate over weather or not it's completely harmless. PET is completely harmless (it's used to make soda bottles and almost all other recyclable plastic food containers), but even with it, there is a high likelihood of food and/or beverage seeping into crevices between layers, and there is no way to easily sterilize it once you've eaten off of it (and to my knowledge, there's no way to vapor smooth it like there is with ABS and PLA).

Water boils by definition at 200C, so anything involving steam is going to be at least that hot, so yeah, strictly compressed air power there.

Student
    Thanks! I guess I'll stay away from most Hot projects and food with the printer and just use the parts for molds and such.

Although I think water boils at 212F/100C but of course any steam under pressure would likely be much hotter than that.

Staff Engineer
    Oh wow, yes. You're right, I'm wrong, jeez, that's embarrassing.

Though yes, steam under pressure is higher than the boiling point.