Close

Make a rough surface smoother

Hi all,

I have printed some parts with a 3D-printer from Voxeljet. The material I used was PMMA.

These products have a very rough surface and have a highly absorbent surface.

I have tried dipping the products in a hot wax, but this wax pulls in the products and still gives a rough surface. I also tried giving the products a vapor treatment with aceton, but the products dissolves.

Do you know anything to make this surface smoother?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what's pmma ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    what's pmma ?
    http://www.voxeljet.de/en/systems/material/

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - You could try some XTC-3D, its pretty adherent to most materials and it leaves a nice glossy finish. It does tend to fill in the fine details and thicken the part a bit, so fitted parts may need some final sanding. Another neat feature of the XTC-3D is that it improves the clarity of the Taulman T-Glase product line, you can see images HERE.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    what's pmma ?
    Basically Pexiglass/acrylic, poly methyl methacrylate is just the polymer name.

Engineer
    The only way I know to get a good surface with acrylic is to cast it, printing, will just not work, as far as I know without post treatment. I am assuming you still see the internal structure from the infill right?

Also, what I don't understand is it's meant for casting, what reason are you using it for?

Engineer-in-Training
    Try acrylic glue.