Close

Adjusting the nut on Z axis rods

How should I measure/adjust them.

Should I measure the height from motor-top to nut, and adjust both the same?

Ran into a issue where my buildplate seems to be tilted, and I'm suspicious it has something to do with the nuts being too high or to low on one side.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    What I did in my build was first square up the x-carriage before tightening up all the X-carriage hardware. This was done with a long metal ruler as a straightedge laying from the X-motor plate to the X-idler plate. Details on this is available at the X AXIS ALIGNMENT post in my build thread.

An R/C pitch gauge used as a precision digital level was used to verify this approach gave me an x-carriage aligned with the Y-bed without the heater installed. Now when I want to check for equality between the two Z-rods, I just set the ruler across the two plates and make sure the ruler still sits flat on both ends.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT: Here is my rationale for squaring up the x-carriage early in the build. A total of eight M5 bolts fasten the two horizontal v-rails to the x motor mount plate and the x idler plate. Tightening the eight bolts turns the x-carriage into a very rigid assembly. If the x-carriage is not square when the bolts are tightened, the Z-rods and the X-carriage will be put under strain when trying to straighten it later. IMO, that strain increases the chance of stepping issues with the Z-motors.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-08-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: readability

Or you can just run the head down onto a piece of paper on the bed. turn the two z screws by hand with the printer off until you get even drag when moving the paper at multiple points across the x axis. Or at least on both ends.

I use the 'stick' part of my calipers to measure from the Y extrusions to the X extrusion ( resting the end on the top). I use the lock on them once I measure the first side then make the other side match In theory these should be square...

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post
    I use the 'stick' part of my calipers to measure from the Y extrusions to the X extrusion ( resting the end on the top). I use the lock on them once I measure the first side then make the other side match In theory these should be square...
    My caliper holder (posted in the Mods thread) should help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    Or you can just run the head down onto a piece of paper on the bed. turn the two z screws by hand with the printer off until you get even drag when moving the paper at multiple points across the x axis. Or at least on both ends.
    Doing it that way I need to use a leveler to make the plate level first?

Engineer
    You can adjust the Z rods to level the X axis with the back end of the Y bed, then move the bed back, and level the front of Y against the nozzle.