Close

New here and have a need and direction

I want to duplicate a Tee Post plastic standoff. i would like to scan it and then edit the scan and add changes. then print it. This is an idea i have. I need to know what to buy for a scanner and what to buy for a printer and a filament which is tough and will withstand UV and cold (winter conditions) Idealistically the same material the tee post standoff is made out of.
    Thank you for your help.

Last edited by davel745; 12-05-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Engineer
    To be honest even a 10 000$ will barely do the job. The mesh is still broken and you will have to manually repair the mesh.
    We tried creaform 3D scanner (one of the world leading in 3D scanning device) and there were much jobs left. And frankly, they charge 500CND$ if you request them to scan and repair the mesh per object.

To be honest, if you were to model it or have it done by someone else, it will cost far more less.

Nylon's probably your best bet for withstanding UV and temperature extremes.

@richardphat has it with the modelling recommendation. It would be much cheaper and give a much better result.

Staff Engineer
    It would take something other than one of the cheap FFF type printers to produce something as strong as the original molded parts you're trying to copy. You could probably make a mold off your 3d printed model, though, and cast it in some kind of resin - that would potentially have a lot more strength than a FFF part, and be cheaper than printing each one.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It would take something other than one of the cheap FFF type printers to produce something as strong as the original molded parts you're trying to copy. You could probably make a mold off your 3d printed model, though, and cast it in some kind of resin - that would potentially have a lot more strength than a FFF part, and be cheaper than printing each one.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    That, probably the best idea so far.

thank you all for the information

Student
    Don't forget if for electric fence it as to be water poof also. If it soaks up rain etc.. it will short the fence out.
    So make sure whatever material you use for the final part is not conductive and not draw moisture or soak up rain.