Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer

Good material for weight?

Just looking around for a good, cheap material that I can drill a small hole in the bottom of hollow model's and fill to harden and give it weight. Any idea's?

Small hole? Sand, BBs, etc. Then plug it with a melted drip from the same colored filament (if the color matters there).

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    Small hole? Sand, BBs, etc. Then plug it with a melted drip from the same colored filament (if the color matters there).
    Pretty good idea's. I was looking for more a liquid that hardened, as to not move around inside. But filled completely with sand might be alright.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sand is good. leave a small gap and then fill that with plastic if you've got a 3d pen like me, or just use some pva glue. That'll mix with the sand and create a really solid plug.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    sand is good. leave a small gap and then fill that with plastic if you've got a 3d pen like me, or just use some pva glue. That'll mix with the sand and create a really solid plug.
    I'll be picking up some sand soon :P

I only have a bunch of ABS currently, would making some acetone + plastic bit's work to seal a hole?

Staff Engineer
    How about some kind of plaster? It's cheap, non-toxic, and easy to deal with. There's some information on my site about mixing and dealing with it: http://juxtamorph.com/the-plaster-fa...-with-plaster/

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Lead has a low melting point and is HEAVY. Fumes are not so great though.
    I used to have a kit to cast lead soldiers in rubber moulds.
    You'll have to be careful with your choice of plastic and the number of shells. Might not want to pour everything in one go too.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Lead has a low melting point and is HEAVY. Fumes are not so great though.
    I used to have a kit to cast lead soldiers in rubber moulds.
    You'll have to be careful with your choice of plastic and the number of shells. Might not want to pour everything in one go too.
    Molten lead is a horrible idea, though it has a low melting temperature for metal, it is still more than double the melting point of ABS. Filling the model with birdshot or other similar small lead pellets isn't so bad, just as long as you use some plastic to seal the hole really well and don't let kids play with it.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    Molten lead is a horrible idea, though it has a low melting temperature for metal, it is still more than double the melting point of ABS. Filling the model with birdshot or other similar small lead pellets isn't so bad, just as long as you use some plastic to seal the hole really well and don't let kids play with it.
    I think maybe some birdshot mixed in with a liquid that will harden up might be the best option for what i'm looking for. Still trying to figure out the best liquid for that

Elmer's Glue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast