Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wood Based Filament - How does it work / How does it look?

I'm hearing more and more about wood based materials being used in 3D Printing. However, I have never actually seen a wood printed item. How does wood powder get turned into a solid wood substance?

Also, more importantly, how does the wood look after it is printed? Does it look like wood, and feel like wood, or is it more of a plasticy texture? Does anyone have any experience with it?

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but here is a photo of something that is printed using the wood material. As you can see, it has the texture of wood.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    wow, looks totally different colour to mine...

It's not a wood powder, its a filament thats infused with small MDF like particles that melt, this stuff I have to print like PLA, you really dont want the nozzle too hot. This an extreme closeup of 0.15mm, no sanding. sadly the model wasnt the greatest detail, but hey you test small first right The eye details didnt come out as well as hoped, this stuff probably better for more solid clunky objects, not fine detail stuff.

It's a dream to sand tho!!!

Geoff, that looks pretty cool. Does it feel like wood, or does it have the plastic feel to it? I guess what I am asking is, "If someone that didn't know about 3D Printing were to pick it up and tell you what it was made out of, would they say 'wood'?"

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Totally feels like wood when it's done, sands like wood, paints like wood

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Totally feels like wood when it's done, sands like wood, paints like wood
    Can a Makergear M2 print this filament?

Technician
    Hi Geoff, I've been trying to print Lay-wood but I can't get it right yet. Can you share what settings you use?

I've noticed the hard way that you shouldn't turn up the temperature too much with Lay-Wood, 210 deg. being the max for my 0.4mm nozzle.
    I thought the higher the temperature the better the flow, wrong I had a few bad blocked hot-ends because of this, maybe the MDF swells up to much.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by aeviaanah View Post
    Can a Makergear M2 print this filament?
    Try this link...

@Egon, no I wouldnt go that high, although they say 180-230c melting point, I found more than 200c made it too squishy and had feed problems. around 200c and 80mx feed seemed to be a good combo.

Technician
    I think most of my problems are in getting it to stick on the build platform. Might I ask what do you use as thickness for your first layer? And do you use your heated bed for Lay-Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Egon van Engelen View Post
    I think most of my problems are in getting it to stick on the build platform. Might I ask what do you use as thickness for your first layer? And do you use your heated bed for Lay-Wood?
    I just tried this stuff the other day, and have had the same issue. It won't stick to my build plate at all! I don't know if I should be using a different type of coating on my plate or what....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast