Close

Clipping STL files

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and 3D printing so please forgive my ignorance. My printer (Velleman K8200) has a bed 20cm x 20cm. I have an STL file with an object 15cm x 32cm. I actually only need the width and one end of the file, say 15cm x 15cm, for my purposes. Is there some software that will allow me to clip the file so I only have one end and the width? I don't have access to the original files only the STL.

I'm trying to get to grips with FreeCAD and OpenSCAD.

All help gratefully received,

Sharpie

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    You could import the STL into Sketchup using a plugin, and cut it with a big rectangle. Sketchup being very user friendly that would be my first step.

Or I think Netfabb might be able to do this (Still learning netfabb, probably wrong).

But I'm not really sure as to what you mean... Are you talking like only printing the first 5 slices instead of the whole loaf of bread?

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    You could import the STL into Sketchup using a plugin, and cut it with a big rectangle. Sketchup being very user friendly that would be my first step.

Or I think Netfabb might be able to do this (Still learning netfabb, probably wrong).

But I'm not really sure as to what you mean... Are you talking like only printing the first 5 slices instead of the whole loaf of bread?
    Thanks for the reply, Netfabb basic does indeed do the job, very quickly and easily. The printer is warming up as I write. And "Yes", half the loaf.

Regards,

Sharpie