Close

Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    make PTFE liner versions
    it helps a lot i drilled out the stock maker farm and put a PTFE tube all the way to the hobbed bolt down to the hotend made a big impact for me but i'm running 1.75mm
    i have everything but steppers and down time for the Itty Bitty Double

Quote Originally Posted by TechMasterJoe View Post
    make PTFE liner versions
    it helps a lot i drilled out the stock maker farm and put a PTFE tube all the way to the hobbed bolt down to the hotend made a big impact for me but i'm running 1.75mm
    i have everything but steppers and down time for the Itty Bitty Double
    Which PTFE solution are you using? Many folks seem like the e3dV6 1.75mm with the longer going all the way down into the hot end. Which tubing are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    Which PTFE solution are you using? Many folks seem like the e3dV6 1.75mm with the longer going all the way down into the hot end. Which tubing are you using?
    I third TechMasterJoe and debovine on this. My current setup for 1.75mm filament uses a drilled out Greg's with E3D's PTFE (4mm OD, 2mm ID) going all the way through and into the v6. Liners are the way to go, at least for 1.75mm filament.

Engineer
    I kinda do that with my E3Dv6, but instead of one continuous tubing, I cut it off at the bottom of the extruder. One length from the hobbed bolt to the bottom of the extruder, then another length inside the v6. It makes maintenance easier, having the hotend separate from the extruder.

I have hexagon hot ends, the PTFE tubes start flush with the hobbed bolts and butt against the tops of the hot ends.

Quote Originally Posted by debovine View Post
    I have hexagon hot ends, the PTFE tubes start flush with the hobbed bolts and butt against the tops of the hot ends.
    What diameter? I'm trying to figure out what diameter people are using with 3mm filament. I've seen various PTFE tubing sizes advertised. Usually, it looks like people are using 4mm ID, 6mm OD tubing with 3mm filament, but that seems like way too much slop to print flexible filaments, like NinjaFlex. I would think you would want a finished diameter much closer to 3.2mm.

I use 1.75mm filament. I used your 3mm body, and drilled it out to 4mm to fit the 4mmOD/2mmID PTFE tube and its been smooth as silk, even with the floppy PolyFlex I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by debovine View Post
    I use 1.75mm filament. I used your 3mm body, and drilled it out to 4mm to fit the 4mmOD/2mmID PTFE tube and its been smooth as silk, even with the floppy PolyFlex I'm using.
    Got it. Thanks.

Well, it's finally ready. I just started a new thread for the Itty Bitty Double FLEX Extruder:

This new extruder builds on the Itty Bitty Double Extruder by adding support for E3Dv6 hot ends and flexible filament. It uses the same hardware, so if you already built the Itty Bitty Double Extruder, you can print out the new parts and recycle the hardware. Discussion for the Double FLEX extruder should go on the new thread.

Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    Very nice work on the flex material extruder - pics look great.

Couple of general dual extrusion questions for C42 and everybody:

-What is the best way to print a single material on the dual? I know you can assign one extruder to infill and I've done that successfully. But if you're really only using one head, do you heat up the other one or leave it completely off? I set up a material that has a temp of zero so that I can leave the extruders setting in slicer at 2 and not have the empty nozzle heating.

-There is a lot of potential for confusion on extruder identification - ramps is labeled 0/1 but marlin assigns 0 to the bed, 1 and 2 to extruders, the LCD has 0 on left and 1 on right but no designation on screen. Slicer is very weak with two materials slots over under which I can never remember which is which, and calls them 1 and 2 in the window where you select which extruder prints which part of a single stl print. Is everybody using:

0 on ramps, therefore left on LCD, 1 in marlin, 1 in slicer multiple extruder window and "bottom" on the two material selectors in the plater dialog, and
    1 on ramps, therefore right on LCD, 2 in marlin, 2 in slicer, and "top" selector in the plater?

I can figure this out but would love if someone can recommend an organized way of thinking about this.

Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast