Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tried out the glow in the dark filament...

This is 1.75 ABS glow in the dark filament from Hatchbox. The Hatchbox spools don't fit on my Dreamer's spool handles, but they're a good price, Amazon Prime eligible, and seem to work well with my printer. So, I just have them feeding from a piece of black iron pipe behind the printer.

Anyway, my daughter tried the glow in the dark filament first with some heart-shaped glasses she made on TinkerCad. Results below -- I was pleasantly surprised by how well they actually glow. The picture is after the glasses sat for just five minutes under the glow light for our carnivorous plants, so, fairly intense, but not that long of exposure. Also, they're not QUITE as luminous as seen in the pic -- I think the camera enhances the luminosity a bit.

I also printed a hook to mount to the bookshelf next to my bed, so I can throwing my robe on the floor. (Was trying to learn how to build my own supports for the curve rather than relying on Slicers'.) You can see how transparent the filament is in that pic; the infill is pretty visible.

Next step is obviously to use ReconstructMe for a glow in the dark mini me.

Glow Glasses 2.jpgRobe Hook 2.jpgGlow Glasses.jpgRobe Hook 1.jpg

Engineer
    I just recently got a spool of this myself. So far I'm happy with it. It is pretty transparent, so there is that. But for the price, it's considerably cheaper. I made some ring's with it and a few other thing's, but this is about the best picture I have of it myself, on my dual ring's at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:559504

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    I just recently got a spool of this myself. So far I'm happy with it. It is pretty transparent, so there is that. But for the price, it's considerably cheaper. I made some ring's with it and a few other thing's, but this is about the best picture I have of it myself, on my dual ring's at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:559504
    That's really cool. I've been trying to do some multicolor prints with my dual extruders, and I think Flashprint is a big problem. Flashprint seems to move models back to center, doesn't always leave them where I want on the print bed...

Engineer
    Not sure what flashprint is, I use makerware 2.4 currently, for all it's not good at, it is pretty good at dual extrusion for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Not sure what flashprint is, I use makerware 2.4 currently, for all it's not good at, it is pretty good at dual extrusion for sure.
    Flashprint is actually printing software; it shipped with my Dreamer. When I asked Mr. Tang at Flashforge support about using other printing software, he assured me that only Flashprint would work. However, there seems to be a lot of contrary evidence on this forum, though, so I'm trying out some of the others...

Does the Creator not come with printing software?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I've got some glow in the dark abs - blue I think.
    Doesn't glow much, was a bargain basement buy from 3dfilaprint.

I have printed a couple of models for friends and they reckon it glows quite well.
    I'd actually forgotten about it till i saw this thread :-)

As time goes on, they'll finally get a filament that glows brighter and longer and I'll jump on it. For now though, it's more dark than glow...

Technician
    i have a sample 100m of glow in the dark (white/green) im dying to try out, but as it came without a spool im wondering how to make it work, suppose i could just wrap it round the existing spool and let it feed as needed. next what to print ?????

mite have a go at a model i tried in fimo a while ago, the hereos double helix symbol. want that as a pentant like the hashan guy did , right off to tinker cad it now......

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    i have a sample 100m of glow in the dark (white/green) im dying to try out, but as it came without a spool im wondering how to make it work, suppose i could just wrap it round the existing spool and let it feed as needed. next what to print ?????

mite have a go at a model i tried in fimo a while ago, the hereos double helix symbol. want that as a pentant like the hashan guy did , right off to tinker cad it now......
    Eyes. Print some glow in the dark eyes.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I've been printing with Glow ABS for a couple of years now, made a few cool things... for me it's a pretty easy thing to print with and requires less heat than regular ABS I find, I print all the types I have at around 220c, which is pretty low compared to all my other ABS - and it is definitely ABS... smells like a tire factory when you do a big print.

tron1.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:410395

ddfgh.JPG

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:316722
    Last edited by Geoff; 11-30-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast