Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Beer Mug? On my list of things to print! LOL
    I make my own beer so why not my own mugs to drink it in, and maybe the bottles and caps to transport it. Can I print such things? Food safe?
    I have many times wanted to take a bit of beer to my friends at some events, just too much problems trying haul 2-3 cases of glass beer bottles on a motorcycle! Too expensive to buy plastic bottles to toss when empty. Already I am thinking designs for custom bottles friends can keep for event souvenirs.
    PET is food-safe, but generally only for one-time use, as it's nearly impossible to sterilize a 3D printed object no matter what it's made of.

Alcohol I suppose is another matter, as it is itself a sterilizing agent, it doesn't matter so much if it gets into the layers.

Technically, PLA is food-safe, though there is a good bit of controversy around that. If you do accidentally actually eat it, it will digest (In other words, it's biodegradable). Though it's non-toxic, some folks disagree on it being harmless (one of the breakdown byproducts is possibly an estrogen analogue).

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Feign, and while this will sound far fetched, it's actually common practice, Gamma Irradiation would work nicely for sterilization of printed materials. Now, doing that on a home scale is a completely different question.

Another option may be high dose UV exposure. I have sterilized ambulances before by leaving a special UV lamp on inside the truck for 24 hours. This might be a practical solution for home sterilization.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Well, I broke the mold.

The first xmas gift I printed this year was not a random thing downloaded from thingiverse! I designed it myself! Woo me (confetti!).

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:588121

Of course, the rest of the stuff will be randomly downloaded items from thingiverse...... sigh.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    oh not this crap again !

feign, mate, this food use has been covered, recovered, stripped back to bare plastic and recovered in a different colour so many times it's getting really silly. And in the end it boils down to personal choice.
    Please leave it out of this thread.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    And in the end it boils down to personal choice.
    Please leave it out of this thread.
    Very true, and I personally would happily drink out of a 3D printed mug or eat with 3D printed utensils, but when someone asks about it specifically, I try to cover all the bases.
    Maybe I should have said it's a personal choice, but a restaurant (at least in America) would get in trouble for using it as such.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    Very true, and I personally would happily drink out of a 3D printed mug or eat with 3D printed utensils, but when someone asks about it specifically, I try to cover all the bases.
    Maybe I should have said it's a personal choice, but a restaurant (at least in America) would get in trouble for using it as such.
    Half the eating places now serve food on wooden planks anyway, one has to wonder what's wrong with normal plates, they were invented for a good reason, easy to clean and hygienic, humans stopped eating off pieces of tree bark long ago until it became fashionable for whatever reason.

Student
    your hairbrush has plastic filament in it!

Student
    you're figuring a way to make grilled cheese sandwiches on your 3d printer

Student
    Keg saddlebags? Stylized to match the lines of the bike...

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    You print yourself a spoon rather than go get one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234