Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Ten signs you own a 3d printer

1) Whenever anyone mentions something to you - your reply is: 'I can make that !'

2) your house/workshop is over run with little plastic models, doodads and fiddle widgets.

3) Your friends see you coming and run before you give them another useless piece of plastic

4) Your christmas gift list consists entirely of weird filament types.

5) You only intend giving gifts this year that you've actually 'made' yourself (for 'made' read mostly downloaded from thingiverse)

6) Even your anorack has 3d printed plastic toggles.

7) You spend your life hoping household items will break, so you can make your own.

8) You sincerely believe that you will invent and print something that will make your fortune.

9) You believe that self-replicating printers (rep-rap) is a real concept because you can make a few plastic parts. While ignoring the fact that you have to buy all the metal, motors, electronics and actual printheads.

10) One day you hope to be able to print your own replacement body parts and become a truly self made man.

I will hold me hand up to all of those except number 9 :-)
    And while I am one - I don't actually own an anorack :-)

That said there are more and more conductive filaments around and 3d printed motors are rapdily becoming a reality.
    Add to that carbon fibre filaments and thoeretically in a few years you could conceivably print every part of a 3d printer, except maybe the hotend.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I will hold me hand up to all of those except number 9 :-)
    And while I am one - I don't actually own an anorack :-)
    But do you go to the seaside wearing socks and sandals and tie knots in the corners of your handkerchief to make a sun hat?

OME

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    But do you go to the seaside wearing socks and sandals and tie knots in the corners of your handkerchief to make a sun hat?

OME
    Does anyone?

Note: Anyone saying yes must be able to handle the abuse that will follow.

lmao - no, do you say 'fair dinkum' a lot ?

Any similarity between the colloquialisms used in Neighbours or Home and Away and day-to-day Australian spoken word is purely coincidental. Those shows are produced in Melbourne, Australia which is a whole different ethnic grouping to the rest of Australia. And that's the fair dinkum truth, mate.

Old Man Emu

Senior Engineer
    Any similarity between the colloquialisms used in Neighbours or Home and Away and day-to-day Australian spoken word is purely coincidental. Those shows are produced in Melbourne, Australia which is a whole different ethnic grouping to the rest of Australia. And that's the fair dinkum truth, mate.

Old Man Emu
    What about the Fosters ads in the UK. They are brilliant and I'm sure that a significant number of people in the UK believe that Aussies are like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8EgHrSPNk

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

Old Man Emu
    hahaha you have to be Aussie to actually know how funny that statement is...

And no Curious, "Fair Dinkum" is not really something that's used as much these days, more back in the 70's/80's but now it's been converted to the more common "No Sh*t" which is acceptable anywhere really.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Ha! Ha! Ha, Bloody Fosters Lager! Should be called Fosters Laughter.

That's the best joke pulled on the Poms evvaaa! It is produced in England in order to fool Poms that it is the milk from the land of milk and honey. I reckon that it is brewed using the seepage from a Cantonese kitchen sink. It tastes bloody aweful. Even warm English beer is preferable. You can only buy it in Australia as an "Imported" beer, like Budweiser and such.

Fosters Lager was made infamous by the great Australian satirist, Barry Humphries (aka Dame Edna Everage) in the 1960's comic strip The Adventures of Barry Mackenzie which was published in "Private Eye" in London. Barry Mackenzie was a charicature - a naive Melbournian who joined the Cultural Cringe migration of young Australians to England in the late 1950-early 60s, made possible by the wings of the Boeing 707. Being young and uninhibited, these young Aussies indulged in boozy parties and clumsy seduction of English roses.

The wheel has turned half-circle. Now Australia is flooded with young English people (and their European collegues) who backpack around the country and behave as our young people did 50 years ago. Perhaps these young people are the grandchildren of those Australian emigres, seeking their ancestral roots under the Southern Cross. They sure do a lot of rooting when they are here. (Australian joke with sexual connotation)

Old Man Emu

Senior Engineer
    The "beer" is crap but the adverts are really funny.

All bottom fermented lager is crap, ale takes the cake every time for a fine Englishman like me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast