Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

Question Print bed leveling problem ?

Ran through all the guides I could find.

It's level now, well small prints in the centre seem to work great but the adjust screws are right on the limit for bringing the plate down. The extruder nozzles are still touching at the front centre.

I have seen mention of 'shimming' Would this be to raise the extruders a bit I can undo the 2 screws holding them to the moving part and put 2 shims in there between the plate and the extruders. probably raid it .5mm

Would this then give me better control of the print bed ?

Student
    OK another 101 question. Printed out a few things now, mostly flatish things, Star Trek badhe, snowflake etc,using Makerbot desktop, All the prints are coming out very well. For me . So this time I try changing the settings a bit from the default. I upped the quality from medium to High then make the layer .10 and fill of 15%, there really wasn't much to fill. Anyway the raft is now imposable to remove. Would that be because of the quality setting and is there a way of adjusting that to suit ? Thanks

Engineer
    Not sure about your other question, but sometime's I get pretty stuck-on print's afterwords. I got a little plastic spatula that I use to help, if I really can't get it I use a butter knife to help pry it up CAREFULLY, but I can't say if that is a good thing to use or not -also I don't have a huge selection of tools yet- . Basically don't give up, just keep prying ;P

I let my bed cool first...and if it's really stuck give it a shot from a can of compressed air, hold it sideways so it shoots out some frozen vapour then the parts will pop right off

CRC Minus 50 is your friend when getting off prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
    CRC Minus 50 is your friend when getting off prints.
    Good tip

Having a hard time finding this outside of Europe.....I think its called Minus 70 in US

There are some other equivalents though...
    http://www.amazon.ca/Blow-Off-7777-Freeze-Spray/dp/B000Z99ZCA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1417294236&sr= 1-1&keywords=Blow+Off+7777+Freeze+Spray

Student
    This is nothing about prints sticking it's about the bed not being adjustable. No idea where the sticking problem came from

Because they thought where you said you could not remove the RAFTING that is stuck to your PART you were talking about your part bring stuck to your print bed......Selective Comprehension. .....I do not use rafting so the only help I can give is pointing the other people in the correct direction. .....

Technician
    hi and welcome,

im currently in the midst of leveling issues, to the point i actually removed the kapton (gold coloured) tape off the alu bed, took it off and took it to my mate (yes the same mate that sorted my stupidity in over tightening the grub screw) and he placed it on a perfectly level (this guy does metal fabrication, so you can bet his equiptment is accurate) surface and shot a laser at it, it is actually about .124mm warped from left to right, this obviously make leveling impossible, as im always gonna have a distorted bed.

the solution is to run a glass bed, something im doing my reasearch on now, from what i have read they are a much better option as no kapton tape is required, if you have more than one bed cut you can just swap em out give the glass time to cool, which should cause a natural fracture from the print (not the glass breaking, but the point of contact between the glass and plastic), making the print easier to remove.

a question what are you printing with abs, pla, pva etc as different materials require diferent methods

for example im using pla my settings are

extruder temp - 200
    bed temp - 65
    infill - 10%
    layer thickness 0.2mm

no raft, no support (unless its required)

and im getting some good results, ok so a few models i have had to modify (cut up using netfabb app).

just stick at it and you will get there.

Student
    Ahh I see whats happened I've posted another question in this thread in the wrong place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast