Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Engineer
    If you work austenitic stainless when cold it becomes magnetic. You have to heat it to make it austenitic again. This is why things like stainless steel kitchen sinks are magnetic, they have been cold worked. If you take it up to about 1200? degrees it becomes non magnetic again but the wife whinges 'cos the sink aint shiny any more.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    people tell me that. But I've never yet found anything made of stainless that magnets didn't stick to.
    Thermal stainless steel reservoir for industrial use, you would stick a neodymium magnet and they will barely stick to it. You will feel attracting if you hook your magnet to a string, but it isn't strong enough to stick

Engineer
    i am no metallurgical engineer but i have worked around alot of stainless over the years, prob everyday for 8 years when i was working in the marine industry and i can tell you that unless it was a cheap grade stainless that was obviously rusting a little, i have never found a piece that a magnet would stick to. not disagreeing with mjo at all but that must be a specialty type stainless. its definitely not a common thing to find stainless that a magnet will stick to. atleast not in this neck of the woods. just here in the house a magnet certainly wont stick to my fridge, sink, dish washer, stove, range hood, door hinges, deck hardware or my kitchen utensils.

Senior Engineer
    What use is a fridge that you can't stick fridge magnets to.

Engineer
    Haha yeah mine is wife proof. Im sure if she could that thing would be a way to clutter up vertical surfaces as well. God know every horizontal surface in the house has some type of junk covering it. Lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12