Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Stainless Steel & Magnetic Iron PLA Filament

I never really thought there would come a day where there would be so many options to use on an FFF based 3D printer. Today Proto-pasta has informed us that they are releasing two new filament. One is a Stianless Steel filament which can be shined or left as is. The other is an iron filament which can rust if treated correctly. The iron is also attracted to magnets. I love the fact that you an now 3D print iron objects that can be oxidized to show a vintage rusty look. What types of things will you be making with these new filaments?

More photos and information on these at: http://3dprint.com/27071/stainless-steel-iron-filament/

Engineer-in-Training
    It would seem that these filaments would be hard on the nozzles. Even for just glow in the dark, it was abrasive enough for someone to need to replace the nozzle after using a couple spools. Maybe it would be time to resurrect the Prusanozzle for these, stainless steel should be harder wearing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol I said there'd be other metal based filaments coming along soon :-)

Presumably the stainless steel filament also attract magnets. Be pretty weird if it didn't.

I wonder how many arms and legs this stuff will cost.

(looks at price) looks slightly cheaper than bronzefill - but with international postage added....
    That's gonna be a killer.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    It would seem that these filaments would be hard on the nozzles. Even for just glow in the dark, it was abrasive enough for someone to need to replace the nozzle after using a couple spools. Maybe it would be time to resurrect the Prusanozzle for these, stainless steel should be harder wearing.
    ? That's very odd, glow filament is no different for me than any other filament - have printed dozens of rolls.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    i love the look of the iron stuff.

So now a rusty finish is an advantage ? My manufacturing teachers must all be crying in their classrooms ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    So now a rusty finish is an advantage ? My manufacturing teachers must all be crying in their classrooms ;-)
    yeah i was wondering about that.
    I guess if the rust is surface layer only, it could look 'interesting'.

The steel filament I could use. As long as I can afford it lol
    I only get the one birthday a year ;-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    lol I said there'd be other metal based filaments coming along soon :-)

Presumably the stainless steel filament also attract magnets. Be pretty weird if it didn't.

I wonder how many arms and legs this stuff will cost.

(looks at price) looks slightly cheaper than bronzefill - but with international postage added....
    That's gonna be a killer.
    Stainless steel is not ferromagnetic, if it attracts a magnet it's either not SS or it is a very low quality SS.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Stainless steel is not ferromagnetic, if it attracts a magnet it's either not SS or it is a very low quality SS.
    It's not about quality it is about whether or not it is ferritic or austenitic, the former being magnetic, the latter being non magnetic.

people tell me that. But I've never yet found anything made of stainless that magnets didn't stick to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast