Close

Is there software to view an extruder toolpath from Gcode?

I've got a glitch in a print and I'm wondering if the cause can be found in the Gcode (which was produced by Slic3r).

Is there software that I can load a Gcode file into and watch the toolpath of the extruder? I've seen such software for CNC work.

OME

Senior Engineer
    Pronterface allows you to look at each layer of the gcode in graphical format but slic3r lets you do that as well.

Do you mean toolpath and text together? I don't know one that allows that.

Pronterface displays what Slic3r creates, but it is static. I want something that follows the path from start to finish, layer by layer. I've just found one simulator online. It stops running at a certain line number. I'll have to go looking for that line in my code. It's not exactly what I want. I'd really like to see the code go through line by line with a graphic displaying in a window beside the code text.

OME

Senior Engineer
    Linuxcnc does it but that's a real ball ache to install. If you double click the display on pronterface it opens another window where you can go through the layers but no gcode display as such just the layer number and the Z height.

Once you ahve the layer there is an edit layer button to give the gcode for that layer.

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Is there software that I can load a Gcode file into and watch the toolpath of the extruder? I've seen such software for CNC work.
    I use this: http://gcode.ws/#

Mostly, I use it to see what the level height is so I can manually add a G600 to do a filament change operation. But you get two slider bars. One moves through every level. The other one move through the entire path of a given level.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I use this: http://gcode.ws/#
    Yes, I like this one, but I loaded a file and it only produced one layer. How to you get it to move from layer to layer? Where are the slider bars? I need to see what's happening with this file at layer 7.

OME