Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    And possibly in the i3 8 kits as well. I'm nearly convinced to upgrade my motors too.
    Yeah for the price it's definitely worth doing the 3 motor replacement (x, y, and extruder) if you have hot running steppers included in the 8" i3v. The two z motors aren't a necessity, though I may do it in the future if I get the itch to upgrade something!

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    Yeah for the price it's definitely worth doing the 3 motor replacement (x, y, and extruder) if you have hot running steppers included in the 8" i3v. The two z motors aren't a necessity, though I may do it in the future if I get the itch to upgrade something!
    That's just an example of the value of different opinions. I'm actually considering two for the Z-motors first since that's where I'm struggling. It irritates me to see the print stop and wait for the layer change to complete, and I can't help but wonder if I'm better off optimizing Z feed rate, acceleration, and jerk on what might be "better" motors. The pause at the layer change is right now my biggest issue with print quality. Cura doesn't (that I know of) have the Slic3r-like option to do a retraction for a layer change, and Cura will also typically do all the layer changes at the same spot on each layer. So, most of my prints come out a pretty ugly corner where the nozzle sat at the end of each layer and oozed while the Z motors (slowly) do their thing. And I've had no good luck with the spiralize option in Cura.

I know I've been a strong proponent of RH and Cura, but I'm starting to think I've outgrown the Cura part. Higher pitch 8mm ACME rods are likely destined for use as my threaded rods at some point, but they're a bit pricey to just go do it, and could create some of their own issues related to feed rate etc. I try to keep 3D printing on as low of a budget line as I can, and all of my 3D printing expenses (Pi, motors, rods, etc.) are on hold until I decide if I'm going to bite on Simplify3D.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-09-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: good thing avatars don't show a metric for edits

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    That's certainly interesting, I didn't know Cura had that issue. I can't say I've noticed that issue with slic3r. I have it set to start each layer in a random point. Though, I might not be understanding the struggle you are describing or could also be experiencing it without realizing it.

Are there any dealbreakers keeping you from using slic3r? I hadn't heard of simplify3d, what features does it have that you're interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    That's certainly interesting, I didn't know Cura had that issue. I can't say I've noticed that issue with slic3r. I have it set to start each layer in a random point. Though, I might not be understanding the struggle you are describing or could also be experiencing it without realizing it.

Are there any dealbreakers keeping you from using slic3r? I hadn't heard of simplify3d, what features does it have that you're interested in?
    First, apologies to OME for continuing a sidebar. But OME seems to have gotten what he wanted out of the thread and he hasn't closed it, so it's all fair game. Right?

Second, sorry if my attitude is a bit more vocal than usual. Thanks to mother nature and a mother-of-all-hailstorms earlier this fall, we've had to bring in multiple contractors to deal with repairs. Every dang one of them is turning out to be a nightmare. Spent the entire day battling two of them. OMG. Yeah, I post on the forums a lot. What no one realizes is that my time here is often me stepping away from unpleasant realities for a few minutes.

Anyway... I had started to address my attitude towards Slic3r in the earlier post, but deleted it, knowing there were likely some already rolling their eyes about another rambling post from printbus. If you've selected the randomize layer start option in Slic3r, you likely wouldn't have the issue I have with Cura and some of my prints. Even better if you also select the retract on layer shift. I wish.

Simplify3D is a professionally developed all-in-one software suite addressing the slicer and host software. It's $140 USD, without any option for an evaluation, and without any substantial up-front insight into it unless you dig for it. Spending WAY too much reading forums, my estimation is that about 19 out of 20 people that have sprung for it will never, ever give it up. And that those 19 question the sanity of the odd-ball. If someone wants to provide first-hand insight, I'm ready for it.

I know a lot of people are OK with Slic3r. Unfortunately, I grew too frustrated with the apparent lack of vision and quality control in working with multiple versions. Every version seemed to fix one thing, but you'd have to readjust to accommodate new quirks in a handful of other things. In a nutshell, I grew weary of relearning how to optimize things each version. I may have just picked a bad combination of versions to work with, IDK. In reading Slic3r release notes, I became concerned for seeing things that were entirely revamped or ported to a new programming language. Those are signs of product stability?

For those happy with Slic3r, good for you. I'm not here to argue. I just want to keep looking elsewhere for a while yet before I give it another shot. Besides, I'm one of those nitpicky people who will likely never be happy with whatever they have. Well, at least that's what certain contractors keep trying to tell me.

Off to another beer...
    Last edited by printbus; 12-09-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: not banned from editing yet, so...

The picture shows the effect of Cura stopping in the same corner every layer to wait for the layer change. This is new filament I'm experimenting with, and I know the sidewall isn't perfect either because of some E feed rate testing I was doing at the time. This filament seems to be really bad at the layer change point, and so far I haven't found a magic combination that prevents it. One thing that aggravates this is that the pause reheats the layer(s) below the nozzle as it sits. Since the pause occurs in a corner of the print (the Make: resonance in XY benchmark), airflow from my print cooling blower doesn't have a chance to cool the corner back down before the nozzle moves on with the airflow. This test effectively had no minimum layer time, so the nozzle is back to the same corner likety-split. So, I know. Settings, settings, settings. I'm just showing what I was talking about as far as the corner quality driven by having to wait for the M5 Z-rods to accomplish the 0.2mm layer shift at MakerFarm default settings for Z feed rate, acceleration and jerk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by printbus; 12-09-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add the photo, numbskull. It's not my fault.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    First off, sorry to hear about the home repair woes. Hope it all gets resolved soon!

Understood, slic3r is very bare bones in the visual department and definitely isn't right for everyone. So far I have had good results with slic3r version 1.0.0RC and haven't felt any version upgrades were necessary.

If you ever want my pretty basic slic3r settings for this version just to try out and build on, don't hesitate to ask!

I don't dare go into details on the contractor woes. Currently looking at around two more weeks based on the backwards steps that occurred yesterday.

I do plan to skim through Slic3r release notes to see what they've been up to. I'd likely use whatever Slic3r version is integrated with Repetier-Host, and I'm somewhat optimistic that may help isolate me from premature releases that aren't ready for prime time. Then I'll do a slice in both Cura and Slic3r and compare the number of travel moves required. I used to see Slic3r results have 2-3 times the moves of Cura, and was one of the big reasons I gave up on it.

First, apologies to OME for continuing a sidebar. But OME seems to have gotten what he wanted out of the thread and he hasn't closed it, so it's all fair game. Right?

No sweat, mate. I opened the gate and let the sheep run in the Long Paddock. I didn't know I had to muster them and bring 'em back like that Bow Peep woman down the lane.

I can't say for certain that the question has been answered, so let's leave the gate open. Maybe a few strays I'm missing will wander back in.

If your sidebar will lead to a discussion of slic3r -v- cura, then it is probably best, for future searches, to create another thread. My thread might be dead in the water, but the slic3r -v- cura discussion might still have wind in its sails.

And with that mixture of metaphors, I'll take my leave.

OME

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345