Close

Banned

Future Technology Discussion

I consider myself an avid futurist. There are so many crazy new tech ideas appearing each week it seems. Whatt technology are you most excited about in the next 5 years. On the eve of 2019, what do you think will be the most surprising eye opening technology out there other than 3D Printing?

I think google glass and other competitors will have mastered the technology by 2019. I think there will be simlar technology in contact lenses all controlled by voice.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    3D printed Human organs with the complete and open research using stemcells, then further on, cybernetic and bio-mechanical symbiosis.

Engineer
    I agree. I think that the next 5 years will see huge advances in medicine. We will be able to treat all sorts of ailments which seem untreatable now. Geoff, any idea for any stock investments in the field?

I also think self driving cars will begin to show their faces on the roa by 2019. That should be one big "Wow" moment when these cars start going on sale.

5 years? That's not too far into the future, but lets see..

The electricity grid will be "smarter". Hourly market allows near real time monitoring of consumption and prices, and electricity could be bought by consumers on the cheapest hours automatically. We are entering a phase where services are being invented to make use of hourly metering. This should be an interesting 5-year period.

Medicine will see advances for sure, but it'll also see challenges in all these swine/bird/whatever flus that keep surfacing. A cure for cancer in humans would be remarkable.

I'm also hoping to see them start building a manned lunar outpost by then.

Engineer
    Something else that looks extremely promising, fist as an entertainment device, but then for much more is the Oculus Rift VR device.

I think Virtual Reality is going to blow people away in the next 3-5 years. It's going to sneak up on many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Something else that looks extremely promising, fist as an entertainment device, but then for much more is the Oculus Rift VR device.

I think Virtual Reality is going to blow people away in the next 3-5 years. It's going to sneak up on many people.
    You just read my mind, and i hope it really happens.

Engineer
    Looks like Facebook agreed with us as well. They recently acquired Oculus for $2 billion.