Close

Engineer

2013 3D Printing Year in Review

Today Shapeways released some cool graphics as well as some stats on their network, title 2013 3D Printing Year in review. Here are a few of the key states:

• 50+% Of Shapeways shop owners are self taught 3D Printing Whizs
    • 100% Year Over Year Growth in # of Product Creators
    • 13,500 different Shapeways Shop, which is 75% growth over 2012
    • 84% of Shop Creators hope to one day make Shapeways their main stream of Income
    • The Top Countries Represented on Shapeways are: U.S. Netherlands, U.K. Germany, Switzerland, and Canada
    • There are over 40 materials and finishes available to use with 3D Printers
    • Prices of Products 3D Printed are dropping Substantially. iPhone Case in 2008 = $70, 2013 = $20

Here is one of the graphics:

In addition to this, Designboom.com also released a list of the top 10 biggest 3D Printing news stories of the year. Pretty interesting read!:
    http://www.designboom.com/technology...13-12-20-2013/
    Last edited by Larry; 12-20-2013 at 08:10 PM.

I find a few things above quite amazing
    #1 - 50% of designers are self taught. I wish I could self teach myself to make some of the things I see on Shapeways
    #2 - Over 2.2 million products have been printed. I can't imagine how much money Shapeways must have made off of these printed products this year.
    #3 - Each model is handled by 10 Shapeway staff members. That makes me feel good about what I have printed.

Keep up the great work ShapeWays

Shapeways is quickly becoming a huge company, that should really continue to grow as 3D Printing grows. Until someone like Amazon starts trying to compete, I don't see them haven't any other main competition. They have really helped make 3D Printing and especially 3D Design a lot more popular than it would be without their service.