Close

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

LEGO vs 3D printing

Interesting article, and a good point from their press officer, basically 3D printing vs LEGO, in the words of MC Hammer, u can't touch this quality and other standards are just way too high..

and look at the volume...

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2013/1...o-3d-printing/

Super Moderator
    Yeah, Lego pieces are made to micrometre tolerances. A 3D printer isn't going to be duplicating that level of precision for some time yet.

I don't think this has to be a bad thing for LEGO. If I were them, once 3D Printing catches on, I'd sell some sort of membership that allows you to download and print all your LEGOs. They could release news designs weekly and take suggestions from their subscribers on what types of LEGOs and LEGO men they would like to see designed.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by McNabb5 View Post
    I don't think this has to be a bad thing for LEGO. If I were them, once 3D Printing catches on, I'd sell some sort of membership that allows you to download and print all your LEGOs. They could release news designs weekly and take suggestions from their subscribers on what types of LEGOs and LEGO men they would like to see designed.
    If anything they could have people send them prototypes for competitions