Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Part has lots of webbing

Many of my parts have "webbing", I'm very new at this and correct me if theres a better term but I'm not sure what it is or why it does this?
    Makerbot mini
    Filament by Makerbot

Is this normal?
    Is there another name for this or is it webbing?

Webbing.jpg

Engineer
    Some call them artifact, I call them christmas garlands.

Anyways it is normal, but for your specific case, no. The retraction calibration is pissed poor as hell. Heck I can't understand how makerbot can sell you something without half decent configured. Anyways, the trick is to play with the temperature. The hotter is your hotend, the easier plastic will leak while jumping from a spot to another.

You can solve by reducing the printing temperature. Alternatively if you can, play with the retraction speed or retraction distance.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by gencode View Post
    Many of my parts have "webbing", I'm very new at this and correct me if theres a better term but I'm not sure what it is or why it does this?
    Makerbot mini
    Filament by Makerbot

Is this normal?
    Is there another name for this or is it webbing?

Webbing.jpg
    This is caused by an off calibration in your retraction rates combined with a slightly off melting temperature I think. Your part looks pretty warped from heat (unless the top is meant to be wonky, sorry if it is)

Set your retract to be a little faster, and retract more filament than it currently is. I would lower the printing temp you are printing. I assume thats PLA from the super shiny look? what temp are you printing at?
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Thanks Richard and Geoff,

PLA yes
    I cant play with the Temp, the tab is grayed out and cant be changed, I cant even turn off rafts
    The mini gives little options
    I don't see any "retraction speed"
    For my case do you mean "Speed while traveling" or "Speed while extruding"
    Should I increase or decrease?
    Here is my settings panel, as you can see temp is grey

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 6.20.21 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 6.23.38 PM.jpg

Thanks again, it means a lot, Ed

Last edited by gencode; 11-14-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I strongly suggest getting Proftweak, it lets you fix the lack of makerware settings, and is mac compatible..

http://nothinglabs.blogspot.com.au/2...e-profile.html

From memory there is no retraction setting in there but there is many others that will probably let you fix your issue.

The thing that is seriously confusing me is why your temperature tab is greyed out, this might be a bug I think my friend, #1 thing you do when printing is set the temp (to all different settings.. depending on plastic) so to have it greyed out is a concern and I'd want to get that sorted first.

Tried the app, thanks,
    Changed Temp
    230 -> 220

Changed Retract Rate
    25 -> 30

does that sound okay?

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.18.58 PM.jpg
    Last edited by gencode; 11-14-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Tried the app, thanks,
    Changed Temp
    230 -> 220

Changed Retract Rate
    25 -> 30

does that sound okay?

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.18.58 PM.jpg
    If it's PLA, you can go all the way down to 180c probably, personally I would try at 200c and see the result. If it sounds like its straining or clicking at all, raise it of course but see how you go at 200c. The cooler it is the less goopy and the less spider webbing also. 200-210c seems to be what I print most of my PLA at these days, with very small variances like 205c.. or 195c...

On a Big model, I would set my retraction to around 30-40ms and the extraction amount to about 2.0

On a REALLY big model probably a higher extraction amount like 3.0. The small things you print only require a small retraction usually and you can do it pretty fast, like 40-50ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    If it's PLA, you can go all the way down to 180c probably, personally I would try at 200c and see the result. If it sounds like its straining or clicking at all, raise it of course but see how you go at 200c. The cooler it is the less goopy and the less spider webbing also. 200-210c seems to be what I print most of my PLA at these days, with very small variances like 205c.. or 195c...

On a Big model, I would set my retraction to around 30-40ms and the extraction amount to about 2.0

On a REALLY big model probably a higher extraction amount like 3.0. The small things you print only require a small retraction usually and you can do it pretty fast, like 40-50ms.
    You guys are totally the best!!! I tried 220 and it did not work, changed to 200 and there is very very little webbing, ill try 180 next
    Its a different part, but this one had the exact same issue and now there are little threads, before it was thick spider webs like on the other part.

2014-11-15 07.00.13.jpg

Geoff, I do have a question, since lower seems better, sounds like I should just keep lowering till the webs are gone and stick with that, are there any advantages to higher temp? stronger etc?

Since there are no odd noises at 200 maybe I can get this last bit of webbing out by changing to 180c

Currently I am using this and the webs are almost gone.
    extruderTemp: 200
    retractDistance: 2.5
    retractRate: 35

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    You guys are totally the best!!! I tried 220 and it did not work, changed to 200 and there is very very little webbing, ill try 180 next
    Its a different part, but this one had the exact same issue and now there are little threads, before it was thick spider webs like on the other part.

2014-11-15 07.00.13.jpg

Geoff, I do have a question, since lower seems better, sounds like I should just keep lowering till the webs are gone and stick with that, are there any advantages to higher temp? stronger etc?

Since there are no odd noises at 200 maybe I can get this last bit of webbing out by changing to 180c

Currently I am using this and the webs are almost gone.
    extruderTemp: 200
    retractDistance: 2.5
    retractRate: 35

Glad it's improving. The 180c will all come down to the plastic, some will melt that low, some lower and some wont melt till a good 200c... . You may still get webbing at 180c, but it wont hurt to try at all- the worst you will get is 'click click click'

As you probably saw the retract is what happens everytime it needs to stop printing and move to another area to start printing. If it does not retract enough and fast enough, it will leave the spider web when it moves.

So the webs are caused by a few things, speed being one of them. So in the next set of tests, besides the lower heat, try lowering the travel speed (too fast and it will web! )

So for the next one try perhaps

190c
    retract distance 3.0
    retract rate 40
    Print speed about 50-60ms
    Travel speed try 90ms.

This might be a bit slower, but better to find out whats causing it , and then improve that thing rather than everything.

I tried these
    Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 12.36.13 AM.jpg
    and it did not work out well
    2014-11-15 23.57.28.jpg

Changing to your suggestion of 2.5 and 35 to see if any improvement
    I dont see a Print speed or Travel Speed
    Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 12.36.40 AM.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast