Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer

Which 3D scanner?

I have yet to try to scan anything, but I do have a Xbox 360 Kinect sensor. Also, I have a Xbox one Kinect Sensor, but I would need to get the USB adapter for that. Would anyone know if it is worth the $50 adapter over the 360 Kinect scanner? Or would you recommend something else completely.

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    What and for what reason are you looking to scan something?

I don't suppose many have tried the kinect 2.0 yet, but I'll get the adapter once they come out in the UK.

Engineer
    Basically just to scan random stuff for printing. Model's, things, etc. I can imagine Kinect 2.0 might be better, but not sure what kind of support is out for that at the moment either.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    At a printing show in Frisco TX I had a conversation with the rep selling the Makerbot Digitizer and I asked him how it compared to the Kinect sensor. He told me that the resolution of the Digitizer doesn't come close to the resolution of the Kinect sensor, but the Digitizer is made to work with the Makerbot and the 3D model from the Kinect sensor may take more work to prepare it for printing. Not an expert by any means but this is what I was told. I have some money put aside for a scanner when a decent one hits the market, and have been looking into a Kinect sensor (there's a bunch on craigslist), but I'm still not sure which one to buy.

I recently became aware of a scanning program that goes with the Kinect sensor called Kinect Fusion. I'm starting to lean towards getting a Kinect sensor for my scanning. 3D Systems has a scanner called the Sense but I would imagine it's expensive coming from 3D Systems.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bford903 View Post
    At a printing show in Frisco TX I had a conversation with the rep selling the Makerbot Digitizer and I asked him how it compared to the Kinect sensor. He told me that the resolution of the Digitizer doesn't come close to the resolution of the Kinect sensor, but the Digitizer is made to work with the Makerbot and the 3D model from the Kinect sensor may take more work to prepare it for printing. Not an expert by any means but this is what I was told. I have some money put aside for a scanner when a decent one hits the market, and have been looking into a Kinect sensor (there's a bunch on craigslist), but I'm still not sure which one to buy.

I recently became aware of a scanning program that goes with the Kinect sensor called Kinect Fusion. I'm starting to lean towards getting a Kinect sensor for my scanning. 3D Systems has a scanner called the Sense but I would imagine it's expensive coming from 3D Systems.
    I checked that Sense out, as awesome as it looks , it's also $400, and I may as well just use a Kinect or 2.0 at that price since I already got those. I will check out that Kinect fusion

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    If you have a kinect 1 (it needs to be the one with an external power supply) then you may as well download Scenect or similar and have a go with it. I think you'll be unlikely to get any results our of it, that you would actually want to print however. It can just about handle a pixilated person, but with a smaller figurine, you have next to no chance.

The kinect 2 is, I'm sure, going to be better, but I've not looked into what anyone has achieved with it yet. Worth waiting for some proper feedback before spending money.

I don't want to be a downer, but accurate 3D Scanning is a long way away from the consumer market (David SLS-2 can achieve good results with some understanding, but it's still not that cheap.) The software to be able to effectively handle the data is even further away from being affordable.

Staff Engineer
    I've had best luck using Skanect http://skanect.occipital.com/ with the Primesense sensors (like the one the Kinect uses). Give it a try with the unit you've got running, before you spend any more money. It's really only useful for large objects, about the size of a person or bigger; small ones don't work too well. And the resolution isn't great. But it might be good enough for some things.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Staff Engineer
    I've actually had fairly good luck with using the Nyko "Xbox 360 Kinect Zoom" accessory. It's just a set of lenses that allows the Kinect to focus closer to the unit (originally for people with smaller apartments). It doesn't make it a great scanner, but it definitely improves its performance more than one could hope for the $12-ish that it cost.

Student
    I would not be surprised if Microsoft did not create their own 3D scanning app for the Kinect 2.0 soon, they already have the Windows 8 3D builder app.

EDIT: Never mind they already have 3D scanning in that app, must be a recent update at the same time the PC adapter launched.

Student
    hi everybody! I can`t find the USB adapter of the new kinect one (v.2) for sell... it`s out of stock in Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Win-AME...ct+one+sensor\

Do they know where to buy in USA? Seems that this new adapter enables to scan full colour...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast