Close

Add bford903 on Facebook

Solid Edge CAD Software

A rep from Siemens came into the shop today and was talking about Solid Edge CAD Software. Anybody here use it?

I use Rhino for my jewelry modeling and I'm pretty happy with it. Looked up some tutorials of Solid Edge and to me it looked like a fancy MS Paint. Not looking to replace Rhino; just wondering if Solid Edge may be able to offer something Rhino cannot.

Any thoughts?

Engineer
    From my googling,

basically it sums up to:
    Rhino for freestyle and nurbs editing is best, but "suck" when it comes to remodify previous step.

Meanwhile SE, is much more robust similar to solidworks when it comes to solid modeling.

At least that is how I understand.

Engineer
    rhino, which is what i use is an industrial design software where solidedge looks extremely similar to solidworks which is for mechanical design. there is a little overlap between the two type but not alot. for jewelry design you want to stick with rhino. both model solids and accurate to the same degree but rhino is much better with organic surfaces. it is for making objects and parts. solidworks and im guessing solidedge are parametric which is for making assemblies. many parts that interrelate and function together. big difference. i dont know of a single person using solidworks for jewelry. its just not good for the crazy surfacing of jewelry and many consumer products. rhino= boatbuilding, jewelry, toys, etc. solidowrks= engines, transmissions, manufacturing tooling. etc. again i know nothing of solidedge but it does appear to be extremely similar to solidworks.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    I'll probably stick with Rhino for now. I could probably use Solid Edge for my watch movements but Rhino has been working pretty well. I just downloaded Blender the other day so I'll probably start teaching myself that. Thank you for the advice.