Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No Grandchildren, and my teens are the reason I'm a landlubber now.

I will stick to design and ignore the Gcode except under consultations. You had earlier answered my question that gcode can slice off of CAD models, and even mentioned Rhino as I had heard elsewhere.

There are MANY examples of printed boats and scale size ships around along with experienced help.

I am a fan of 3D printing but not an enthusiast like yourself. If I am ever forced to buy as opposed to rent a machine for my eventual purpose then it would be sold once my projects are completed.

I am a sailing enthusiast, not a 3D hobbyist.

Instead of pasting a link just image search "3D printed boats" and you will find many pictures of highly detailed boats sanded and finished after printing. Similar work is being done on a smaller scale. Many fiberglass boats are built in sections and often one half of the hull at a time so the projects could always be assembled if need be, but I'd prefer a complete build leaving only sanding and finishing.

With the amount of money required in materials for a yacht that size,it would be more prudent to have Gcodes done by a professional the same way you would hire a architect to design your house.

Thanks though. You answered my question several posts ago.

@ 3D Karma,

Honestly I havd seen smaller scale boats and such printed and was hoping this was already being done on full size scale. Smaller watercraft has already been constructed, although your suggestions for prototypes are extremely prudent. I could not even imagine attempting a full scale model without running a few dozen smaller scale prototypes. I will not be purchasing a 3D printer. I am purchasing Rhino CAD and will stitch my concept into 3D

I'm sure you can use a facility like 3DHubs to get your prototypes printed. Given your timescale, I don't think waiting for a print to be delivered will be that much of a trial.

Thanks for all of the information, however my main question in coming here was to clarify if the Gcode splitter could run off of CAD like Rhino. I had never heard of Gcode prior to this thread.

@ 3dKarma,

Research funding for anything could be a good thing, but I am not interested in the ultimate prototype. For myself I'd be happy going slow and err on the side of caution in all aspects of design.

I will either buy or build a hull when the time comes if 3D printing has not advanced in the next decade, because this seems possible with the tech of today.

I am happy with what I have learned from this thread and feel confident with the choice to improve my CAD skills.

I'm sure in a decade you will all have downloadable 3D styles for objects, such as a boat hull pattern, or a back shed design for outdoor printers.

I appreciated the feedback.

Whatever program I do use should be Gcode compatible.

thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Darconio View Post
    Thanks for all of the information, however my main question in coming here was to clarify if the Gcode splitter could run off of CAD like Rhino. I had never heard of Gcode prior to this thread.
    Although the Gcodes use most of the same vocabulary of commands, a Gcode generator for 3D printing works in a different way from one for a CNC machine. The reason is simple to explain. It is due to the manner in which an object is created. A CNC machine takes an existing block of material and removes what is not wanted to expose the desired object within - think of a sculptor. A 3D printer starts with nothing and lays down material to create an object - think of a bricklayer.

Rhine has an add on called RhinoCAM which will generate CNC style Gcode. Basically this is an in-built software program. If you create an object in Rhino for 3D printing, you have to run it through an external Gcode generator. Much the same thing, only you have to open another program on your desktop. No a big hill'-o-beans.

After you generate the 3D Gcode, you can load it into a 3D CAM program such as Pronterface to watch how the object will be printed.

Old Man Emu

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well given that you currently can print a small car in about 8 bits on a large printer.
    Yes printing a boat won't be a problem in a few years.

There will no doubt be much larger gantry based 3d printers for precisely that size and type of build.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12