Close

SmartBox 3D Printer

The battle for the lowest-cost 3D printer seemed to stall out over the summer, following months of fierce competition for the bottom (in terms of price). Kickstarter and Indiegogo both saw companies creating crowdfunding projects to create low-cost 3D printers; many, though, ended up folding because creating inexpensive, high-quality 3D printers while maintaining a profit was just too tricky. The fight, it seems, is back on now. Recently, iBox started a Kickstarter campaign for their low-cost 3D printer and now a new entrant has entered the ring. SmartBox Labs has kicked off their Kickstarter now for the SmartBox 3D printer. The SmartBox FFF printer is capable of printing both PLA and ABS, and starts at $199 (for an unassembled printer) to $299 (the early bird pricing for an assembled unit). Check out more: http://3dprint.com/24122/smartbox-3d-printer/

Below are a few of the SmartBox's general specs:

• Printer Technology: FFF
    • Printer Size: 430 x 500 x 380mm
    • Build Envelope: 200 x 200 x 180mm
    • Nozzle Diameter: 0.4mm
    • Layer Height: 0.1 - 0.4mm

Technician
    I'm all for innovation and low prices, but people must realize that this is a risk. With margins so tight there's not much buffer room to fail. The makibox was a spectacular example of a low cost printer gone very very wrong when they stopped filling orders completely.

Engineer-in-Training
    $200 for a pile of parts is below cost and is not likely to lead to a sustained business.

http://www.inside3dp.com/low-cost-3d...nding-suicide/

Looks a LOT like the Prusa I3...

You add a $150 in shipping to the cost - nearly doubling the price. I can't think of any other kits with similar shipping cost.

Engineer-in-Training
    I don't get why there is a random bearing on the X axis there....whoops!

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadRyan View Post
    I don't get why there is a random bearing on the X axis there....whoops!
    Good catch! If that's their best, then look out!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
    The "Smartbox" is just an off the shelf Chinese printer.[1]

I have a high opinion of Chinese 3D printers- but this is a scam.

I hate to say it, but in general avoid Kickstarters that look Chinese but can't provide evidence of a US presence. Usually it's just a couple of random guys that plan to place a wholesale order and are counting on US backers not knowing the Chinese market- most times they are not even associated with the factory. They either recruit Chinese students studying in the US, or American expats in China to front campaigns for them on Kickstarter. I get offers all the time.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    This is merely an even cheaper version of the Aurora z605 Prusa I3 kit which goes for about $500 (Well did when I got it). I do not recommend these cheap kits. You are much much better off building a kossel mini or similar.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com