Close

Technician

Has anyone used "Fun To Do" resins (metal casting version) ?

I was browsing instructables and came across a reference to "funtodo casting resin" I looked it up on their web site here:
    http://www.funtodo.net/our-3d-resin-properties.html
    ... Apparently it cures at up to 415nm, so it should cure with the peachy's laser (405 nm), and can be used to cast "bronze, copper, tin and iron". I'm not a beta tester, so I can't test it of course, but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything - good or bad about this resin?

Should be good, but if you are looking to do a lot it may cost. May be worth seeing if you can make your own casting resin for cheaper ?

remember that it has to be less dense than the liquid (water, I believe) that is used to raise the resein.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by oninoshiko View Post
    remember that it has to be less dense than the liquid (water, I believe) that is used to raise the resein.
    Salt water is used which can have a density of just over 1.2g/ml (instead of 1 for pure water). Of course if some resin was even denser than saturated saltwater then something besides saltwater could probably be used.

Student
    Read http://www.3dprms.com/collections/re.../casting-resin.
    (the resin is hydrophobic)
    Jankoo

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Casting resin is not as easy as they make it out to be. I'd love to try casting some, but the fact that they don't have any investment or burnout recommendations makes me suspicious. Had the same issue when I got my Projet 1200. 3D Systems had no idea how to cast the resin so they left it to us to figure it out. Finally did and enlightened them on how to do it (they include the procedures in the manual now), but it was a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by jankoo View Post
    Read http://www.3dprms.com/collections/re.../casting-resin.
    (the resin is hydrophobic)
    Jankoo
    hydrophobic does not mean something floats. floating is determined by a difference in density. Hydrophobia, on the other hand, is the tendency of a molecule to be attracted to the water. a good example is a lava lamp. sometimes the wax/oil is hot and floats to the top, sometimes it is cooler and goes back to the bottom, but it is always hydrophobic. That hydrophobia is why it clumps together in balls.

density (of the liquid resin, we probably don't care so much about the cured) is what matters. It's probably not too dense, but it would be better to ask and know for sure, then waste money on disappointment.