Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Roxy, thank you for all of your help. I don't know what is going on, if I put your .stl in Slic3r, I can generate gcode. If I put your .scad in OpenSCAD, then export .stl, then go to Slic3r, it generates gcode fine.

HOWEVER, if I change the values at all to customize them in OpenSCAD, then export .stl, then I cannot generate code in Slic3r.

I would like to figure out why this is happening!

But what I actually need each little box needs to be 8.5mmx8.5mm square on the inside. The height needs to be 33mm. The total width of the thing must be around 158mm, so that should be 7x7 small boxes. Width of all walls 3mm should be fine.

THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ234 View Post
    Roxy, thank you for all of your help. I don't know what is going on, if I put your .stl in Slic3r, I can generate gcode. If I put your .scad in OpenSCAD, then export .stl, then go to Slic3r, it generates gcode fine.

HOWEVER, if I change the values at all to customize them in OpenSCAD, then export .stl, then I cannot generate code in Slic3r.

I would like to figure out why this is happening!
    Most likely, you are not compiling and rendering the design with the new information. OpenScad (as a convenience to you) will do a best guess rendering of the source code to show you what it thinks it will generate. But, the design is not compiled and you are not ready to export the information into a .STL file yet.

Up on the Menu Bar of OpenScad, Do a Design / Compile & Render. Then export the generated information as an .STL file. That should slice without problems.

But what I actually need each little box needs to be 8.5mmx8.5mm square on the inside. The height needs to be 33mm. The total width of the thing must be around 158mm, so that should be 7x7 small boxes. Width of all walls 3mm should be fine.

THANK YOU!
    Assuming you get the .STL to export in a fashion where your slicer can digest it, Just tweak any of the numbers at the top to get it to look exactly how you want it. Just to make the code simpler... The size of the box ignores the thickness of the walls. The size of the box goes from the center of the wall to the center of the wall. And the height includes the thickness of the bottom plate. You should be able to work around those issues to get what your want.

Good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Most likely, you are not compiling and rendering the design with the new information. OpenScad (as a convenience to you) will do a best guess rendering of the source code to show you what it thinks it will generate. But, the design is not compiled and you are not ready to export the information into a .STL file yet.

Up on the Menu Bar of OpenScad, Do a Design / Compile & Render. Then export the generated information as an .STL file. That should slice without problems.

Assuming you get the .STL to export in a fashion where your slicer can digest it, Just tweak any of the numbers at the top to get it to look exactly how you want it. Just to make the code simpler... The size of the box ignores the thickness of the walls. The size of the box goes from the center of the wall to the center of the wall. And the height includes the thickness of the bottom plate. You should be able to work around those issues to get what your want.

Good luck....
    Did all of the above. Will try again I guess...

Do all the above... And post the .STL file. Let's see if I can slice what you generate.

OpenScad or Rhino ... it depends on how your mind has been trained.

With OpenScad, you need to study the way that the software accepts directions. With CAD programs like Rhino, that part of the job has been taken care of by the various tools, you only have to get the hang of using the tool, without the need to know the ins and outs of how the tool is made.

I will admit that knowing what was being created in this example, and having an image of it, it was relatively easy to follow the OpenScad coding.

As an aside, I sliced my drawing and Pronterface said it would take 48 metres of filament and 12 hours to print.

Have you thought of going to your local hardware store and buying a multi-sectioned storage box?

Old Man Emu

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    As an aside, I sliced my drawing and Pronterface said it would take 48 metres of filament and 12 hours to print.

Have you thought of going to your local hardware store and buying a multi-sectioned storage box?

Old Man Emu
    Holy Cow! I just pulled my design for a 5x5 box into PronterFace and it was saying 41m of filament???? That's crazy!!!

Holy Cow! I just pulled my design for a 5x5 box into PronterFace and it was saying 41m of filament???? That's crazy!!!
    Is that possible. It's just a box...maybe I should make it thinner

Is that possible. It's just a box...maybe I should make it thinner

Here it is, wont convert to GCode.

Is it really going to take up so much filament??

Any way to reduce amount of filament, make it hollow or out of hexagons or something?
    Test3.stl

Here it is, wont convert to GCode.

Is it really going to take up so much filament??

Any way to reduce amount of filament, make it hollow or out of hexagons or something?
    Test3.stl
    First, a 3mm wall dividing the boxes is probably excessive. That can be cut down to 1.5mm. But maybe it makes sense to not make the wall solid. It can have all kinds of different infill at different fill levels. We can chop that 40m of filament down to 10m I bet.

But anyway... It sliced just fine with Slic3r 1.1.7 I have a really fast machine, but I did notice a 20 second pause when it was generating the perimeters. I think you just need to let it sit and chew on it for a few minutes. (I have lots of memory too... That really helps when you are slicing.). Give it 10 minutes before you kill it.

At the end of the attached GCode file, it says all the settings that were used to slice it. At worst case, you can just duplicate those settings and it should slice on your machine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

First, a 3mm wall dividing the boxes is probably excessive. That can be cut down to 1.5mm. But maybe it makes sense to not make the wall solid. It can have all kinds of different infill at different fill levels. We can chop that 40m of filament down to 10m I bet.

But anyway... It sliced just fine with Slic3r 1.1.7 I have a really fast machine, but I did notice a 20 second pause when it was generating the perimeters. I think you just need to let it sit and chew on it for a few minutes. (I have lots of memory too... That really helps when you are slicing.). Give it 10 minutes before you kill it.

At the end of the attached GCode file, it says all the settings that were used to slice it. At worst case, you can just duplicate those settings and it should slice on your machine.
    Roxy, thanks again for all of your help, really appreciated.

I am using Slic3r 0.9.9 as recommended by Makerfarm, I will leave it longer to see if it clears "generating perimeters".

Is there any EASY way to make the whole base like this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:421886 to save filament? (also does Slic3r give that total filament needed statistic?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast