Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good speeds?

Engineer

Good speeds?

What are the speed's you normally run on making your prints? Low, medium, and higher quality print speeds. I just started using a Raft to get things to stick and warp less. Which is working great, but the raft's are starting to leave a residue left on my build plate I cant seem to get off. I'm thinking I will need to change the tape soon. But yeah, just curious if I'm printing too fast. I'd say the normal I have been using is Extrude 70 mm/s and travel 100 mm/s

Technician
    hi, what material you printing with abs, pla, pva, nylon etc

im curently using pla, my settings are as follows

headed bed at 60
    nozzle at 195/200
    extrude at 40
    travel at 70

this is my settings for all qualitys

Engineer
    Ah sorry, I'm stuck using only ABS until Payday :P So if you extrude at 40, maybe me using 70 is tad too fast? I also use the nozzle at 235, bed at 115.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I was stuck with ABS for long time, so it's all I used for at least the first 6 months I had my machine...

With ABS on the Flashforge, running at 230c and HB at 110c, the following seem to be pretty standard for me..

Printing at 0.3mm layer height - 70ms feed, 120ms travel
    Printing at 0.2mm layer height - 60ms feed, 110ms travel
    Printing at 0.1mm layer height - 50ms feed, 90ms travel.

Re: changing tape, its pretty easy, I use a credit card to smooth out any air bubbles as I lay it down.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    Ok so I'm not too far off from my settings then. I'm currently printing something bigger at .2mm layer height, 70ms feed, 100 travel. Will see how that turns out when I get home from work.

I did buy a nice size roll of tape with my machine ($45 >.<) Should have got it off FF website instead. What about fill %, what is your "default" fill for things you make usually. I just made it 50% for this thing I'm printing now. 2 Shells, it seem's that is about the normal for shells. Does more shells = thicker product?
    Last edited by Bassna; 11-07-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I generally print with one stepper removed and almost always at .2mm layer height. I am never successful at printing .3mm layers and they always look like wicker basket crap anyway.

My standard speed with S3D is 6000mm/m feedrate and 7200 travel. This equates to 100mm/s feed rate and 120 travel. First layer is at 60% speed.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    I generally print with one stepper removed and almost always at .2mm layer height. I am never successful at printing .3mm layers and they always look like wicker basket crap anyway.

My standard speed with S3D is 6000mm/m feedrate and 7200 travel. This equates to 100mm/s feed rate and 120 travel. First layer is at 60% speed.

So you print at a pretty fast rate then. Does makerware have a option to print at a % speed for the first layers?

Super Moderator
    Yes, it is in the xml file or use profitweak.

Super Moderator
    Actually now that I think of it, the settings are held in Javascript. These aren't directly editable in Makerware but with Profitweak you can customize profiles.

I really recommend spending the $140 for Simplify3d. Things are just laid out in a logical manner and if you are printing more than one object you can set a custom extrusion profile for each. Maybe one model needs support and the other one doesn't. Simplify3d handles this. It is incredibly fast. For things that take up to a minute to slice/process in Makerware, these take seconds or less in Simplfy3d.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Actually now that I think of it, the settings are held in Javascript. These aren't directly editable in Makerware but with Profitweak you can customize profiles.

I really recommend spending the $140 for Simplify3d. Things are just laid out in a logical manner and if you are printing more than one object you can set a custom extrusion profile for each. Maybe one model needs support and the other one doesn't. Simplify3d handles this. It is incredibly fast. For things that take up to a minute to slice/process in Makerware, these take seconds or less in Simplfy3d.
    Yeah I really have been looking into Simplify3D, at the moment I can't spend the $140 on it, but maybe in a month or so it might be a option. I do hear good things about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast