Close

Thread: does it exist

Technician

does it exist

hi,

im looking for a piece of software that can convert a 2d picture into a 3d workable obj or stl file as there is something i really wanna print, failing that does anyone know anyone who is ang good at 3d modeling

fyi this is what i want

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...raph_blade.png

im thinking as a letter opener

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    hi,

im looking for a piece of software that can convert a 2d picture into a 3d workable obj or stl file as there is something i really wanna print, failing that does anyone know anyone who is ang good at 3d modeling

fyi this is what i want

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...raph_blade.png

im thinking as a letter opener
    Not a tough one to do, i'd even model that from scratch rather than say an SVG file of its outline, you could try inkscape but with that contrast of clear/glass and red it might be tricky to get a defining profile of the knife. Give me bit, ill do one for ya.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    simplify3d has an add on module that does exactly that.

Results are 'interesting'. lol

But if you just want to print a small plastic sword. It would be easy enough to model. Or follow geoff's trace approach :-)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    The problem is he want's to create a 3D model from that photo, and with 1 single reference point the best it's going to do is maybe guess. Yes, you can use a tonne of programs to trace it out, inkscape would do it in 3 seconds, import the svg into blender and theres your cut out, just extrude the shape and fill in the mesh...
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    I use Photoshop CC to extrude 2D images into 3D. Not sure if that's exactly what you are looking for, but it's very simple on there.

Technician
    Hi, thanks for the replys,

@geoff, that was just the pic i chose as it clearly shows what im after without anyones hands in the way, there a tons of images for a "seraph sword" (from the movie "The mortal instruments), if you could draw it out etc that would be great, im still only at tinkercad level ie. simple shapes etc.

@CA, hmmm a small plastic sword, that is also a letter opener, no my intention is to get a perfect 1:1 scale replica, printed in small parts, bonded together, then mould it and fill mould with clear resin (this is how they were made for the film, in clear resin), then place on my wall nxt to my excaliber replica.

@hennisdk, looked at both of them (thanks for the links) not really what im looking for, + adobe 123 dont install on my pc.

@bassna, my dad has photoshop cc mite have a look into that, but i think as geoff said with the background it would be harder than normal.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    @CA, hmmm a small plastic sword, that is also a letter opener, no my intention is to get a perfect 1:1 scale replica, printed in small parts, bonded together, then mould it and fill mould with clear resin (this is how they were made for the film, in clear resin), then place on my wall nxt to my excaliber replica.
    lol wow, that's a lot of work.

Might be easier to just carve it out of balsa and paint it :-)