Close

Add Marm on Thingiverse

Delamination, again.

Occasionally, when I print something like a taller box with thinner sides, like a pull out drawer or such, I get a couple spots that are starting to delaminate. I have the bed calibrated pretty well (within spec), so I don't think it's that. I'm using the infamous XYZ Davinci 1 with ABS, so I have practically no control (yet) over temps or such. What I do have is layer height and speed (normal, fast or slow). I'm thinking if I could, a slightly higher temp on the extruder would make the plastic stick better. But since that isn't an option, my next guess is thinner layers at higher speed, so it has a better chance to stick. Is this a decent logic train, or am I nuts?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    I suggest slowing down the print speed.

I would also suggest upping the temperature a little - for those for whom this is possible.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, it's abs so the main issue is shrinkage.

Try it with pla which doesn't shrink anywhere near as much.

And yep slower printing should work too :-)

thinner layers at higher speed, so it has a better chance to stick. Is this a decent logic train, or am I nuts?
    thinner layers at SLOWER speed. should get it to stick more.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Ok.... Can't adjust Temperature, and can't do PLA.

My thought process was that at a higher speed, the previous layer would have less time to cool off, and as these have been fairly sizable builds, any one particular location would have a lot of time to cool down.

I'll have to do a couple test builds to see. I will try both high and slow speed.
    Last edited by Marm; 11-05-2014 at 07:21 AM.