Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    First, I see again why America was so keen on getting away from the Brits.
    Second, in both of those situations the guy who sold the car he doesn't own goes to jail.

Now granted, Crowdfunding pledges aren't legally binding sales, they're technically donations with vague promises attached...

Oh, wait, Makible wasn't a crowdfunded project, they were just pre-orders!

Yeah, he would be on his way to jail in the US.

You quoted something that is not legally correct.

I see you are still under the influence that you chose to leave the Brits, we did a good marketing job there.

In the UK, in both cases, if you are a trader or you are a private person, the seller is breaking the law and may goes to gaol.

Student

Sorry about the OT post but I had to say. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    You quoted something that is not legally correct.

I see you are still under the influence that you chose to leave the Brits, we did a good marketing job there.

In the UK, in both cases, if you are a trader or you are a private person, the seller is breaking the law and may goes to gaol.

You're right, the Brits did a great job, of religiously persecuting people until they risked their lives to leave, rather than be prisoners of mother. . .

The part you really effed up, though, was that when you finally, finally realized that you had exported people to a huge, rich continent, (twice really) you couldn't win the war to take it back.

Thanks for America, Mr. marketing genius!

All stated in good fun, buddy, you started it. Hating America is cool, I get it. Winners are used to haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanicus View Post
    You're right, the Brits did a great job, of religiously persecuting people until they risked their lives to leave, rather than be prisoners of mother. . . .
    Actually, if you are referring to the Puritans coming to the New World, their intention was to impose their restrictive religious concepts on a new world. They were the ones who did not like the live-and-let-live approach to religion that existed in England at the time. Their influence is why, as an American police officer said to me when I was telling him about the Australian way of life, "Gee, you Australians look after each other. We Americans prey on each other."

Old Man Emu

Staff Engineer
    I think that has less to do with being American and more to do with being Police... Not that they're inherently bad, but it's their job to basically immerse themselves in the worst parts of society. When the worst is all you see all day, it's easy to assume that that's all there is. I've been of the opinion that the police need a work schedule more similar to military, with "tours of duty" that last a year or two, with a few years in between to re-acclimate to a regular civilian lifestyle, so they get some regular exposure to the society they're supposed to protect, rather than just a non-stop career of dealing with the "society" they're protecting others from.

That said, this thread has severely gotten off topic. The proliferation of con-artists and incompetence that is just as damaging to victims in the last few years is a problem that needs addressing, and the fact that both problems have attached them to 3D printing as the new and hip thing that people are buying is what makes it relevant to the board.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    He wouldn't.

Technically the goods belonged to makible until actually delivered to the buyers.
    So as these goods were seized as part of monies owed to the warehousing company - there's no legal comeback i can actually see.

What we have here is a failure of International and National Law to keep abreast of modern commerce in the form of Internet trading.

We have seen in this thread posts from members from a number of countries who have replied to the problem on the basis of their own country's consumer laws. I could have added my two cents' worth by stating the law as it stands in Australia, but, being of a similar nature to other countries' laws, it would not advance the discussion.

Surely the organisation that invented Kickstart has something in its conditions of use that deals with these problems. However, under which country's law does Kickstart operate?

Old Man Emu

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Crowd funding sites work on the honour principle.
    There is no legally binding contract for the manufacturer to actually send you anything.
    I've read the kickstarter agreement quite carefully.

Which is moot in this case as makible had gone through the crowd funding stage and were delivering machines. I bought from their online store - NOT from kickstarter.

From what I can gather makible haven't officially gone bankrupt either (yet). So creditor laws don't currently apply.

It's a bastard thing for any company to do to their customers - but legally I can't see that there's any comeback we can make.

Add GameProps on Facebook Add GameProps on Thingiverse
    You do have one possible way to get the money you put in back, now it's only a small possibility but contact your bank or credit card company and see if you can request a chargeback for failure of delivery for merchandise.

Add GameProps on Facebook Add GameProps on Thingiverse
    I've known someone that did not get the product they ordered from Paypal after waiting 3 months. They filed a charge back with the bank. Say your Paypal was at 0.00, your bank is linked to your Paypal account, therefore your bank was charged through Paypal. You can still dispute the charge with your bank. However if you transferred the balance of the Makibox to your Paypal account first then made the purchase then yes you are totally screwed.

Whoa, there!

We are getting off topic. I've moved a couple of the latest posts to a new thread http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...trange-peoples which is better suited to their content.

Now, back to the original topic ...

Old Man Emu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast