Close

Anyone Using a 1.75 filament on a i3 Prusa Mendel?

I have several new spools of 1.75 PLA and was thinking of adding a 1.75 J Head to the i3 so I could use them up. Anyone using a 1.75 hot end instead of the normal 3mm hot end? If so, are there any know issues? Thanks

Interesting. I too have some 1.75 PLA's that I wouldn't mind using. Is this something that is doable?

My only concern is will the Mk7 Drive Gear on the extruder bottom out on the pressure gear with the smaller diameter filament? My son has both i3 Prusas but I will get mine back next week. I may try it and see how it works? I'll let you know.

John, please let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to if the 1.75 will work as well.

Student
    I have a Prusa I3 which is setup for 1.75mm filament. What occurred for me is there was a hollow cavity in the hole between the hobbed bolt and front end. If you have any Teflon tube with a internal diameter of 1.75, you can cut it to that size. Insert it under the hobbed bolt in the filament path as a guide. The insulator underneath should keep it in place. I hope this applies to your configuration.

DR1983, did this work for you, or are you just assuming this will work? JohnA, have you given it a try yet?

I have not. My son dropped off my i3 with two rolls of PLA so I have put this project on the back burner. I will have to order a 1.75 J head to give it a try.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by McNabb5 View Post
    DR1983, did this work for you, or are you just assuming this will work? JohnA, have you given it a try yet?
    I have tried this, and it is currently installed. I have not yet tried 3mm filament on my i3. The filament was getting stuck and would bind up without this tubing.

Because of the larger hot cavity with the 3mm nozzle, retraction will probably suffer with 1.75 filament

Student

images of first print

Quote Originally Posted by DR1983 View Post
    I have tried this, and it is currently installed. I have not yet tried 3mm filament on my i3. The filament was getting stuck and would bind up without this tubing.
    This is to confirm that my recommendation works on my setup. 20140122_024551.jpg20140122_022927.jpg This was the first print.