Close

Praxis3D' X-truder hits Kickstarter

Praxis3D has just launched a Kickstarter campaign seeking to raise $100,000 for the production of their X-Truder, high quality, affordable, dual nozzle, 3D printer extrusion system. The extruder which can attain very high temperatures, and print using two filaments, is available for early bird backers of the campaign for just $250. More details on the X-truder can be found here: http://3dprint.com/22573/praxis3d-x-truder-kickstarter

Below is a picture of the fully assembled X-truder from Paxis3D. Let us know if you hve backed it!

Engineer-in-Training
    I see a lot of nice things, but a few concerns too.

The combination head pivot & filament drive engagement might run afowl of a patent or two. I'd check into that issue ASAP, well before the crowdfund drive ends so you don't take money for something that's going to get you sued by Stratasys.

http://www.google.com/patents/US7625200
    http://www.google.com/patents/US7604470

That second one addresses my next concern, the nozzle being a bit skewed like that affects the nozzle tip's ability to flatten the top of the extrusion. I count on a nozzle tip square to the layers to flatten extrusion top and smooth the tops of parts.

The melt zone seems way long to me.

The example parts don't seem as nice as I think they should be. Some of that appears to be due to the M2, maybe there's some adjustment to the flow rate too.
    Last edited by JRDM; 11-02-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Engineer
    i agree. patent thing aside, they claim a short thermal zone when that has to be the longest hot zone i have ever seen. that will make ooze control difficult. other than being compact i fail to see the advantage of what they are doing there. if the nozzle that is not in use was covered to block off the tip to basically shut it off then that is entirely different. it would be the valve system we have all been waiting for. i dont see that anywhere on this. ill say one last thing, i just watched the video where they have it mounted to the M2. i have an M2 and it prints nothing like that. the z axis waviness is either from their extruder or something is not right with the machine.

Engineer-in-Training
    jimc; they said it was a short thermal transition zone, which I think means the euivalent of a heat break. But the super tall melt zone is a matter of concern. If the diagram is right, then the heater is around 1.5" long. Melt zones for many 3D printer hot ends is a third to half that. I think the machine would need to move extremely fast to benefit from that

I didn't notice the goal amount. $100k. Ouch! I wish them luck, but I find it hard to back this iteration given these concerns.
    Last edited by JRDM; 11-04-2014 at 05:31 PM.