Close

Inconsistent print. A tempreature issue?

Hi all.
    Hope this is the right section.

Printing on a 3D Stuffmaker Evolution.
    PLA @ 190c.
    "mods"
    Unheated glass build plate + blue tape.
    Cooling fan blowing near nozzle.

I was printing a little hot air balloon for my daughter and had these results.

Looks good on one side...

but the rest of the way around was like this :/

I know the top is a just a speed issue. and there is a way to slow down certain layers with gcode or slic3r or similar (I cant remember exactly though, but it'll be easy enough to figure out later on)

Is this a temp issue? I've never had this before, but the other things I've printed have not been hollow.
    The good side was sorta facing the cooling fan side, which makes me think it was just too hot. and stayed a little melty.

Thoughts?

190c was the only temp that seemed to work when I was calibrating months ago (before my blue tape success) so I think it needs knocking down a few *c now I have great adhesion to the bed.

Also is a higher temp a cause of spider webbing? I had that last week when I printed a dino skull with no internal supports for the skull cavitys.

Cheers!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    You could try printing with more walls/shells and try possibly printing a bit slower, if its happening on one side and not the other that might also indicate a bit of a machine calibration issue like belts being loose etc.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    You could try printing with more walls/shells and try possibly printing a bit slower,
    Yeah, maybe a speed thing. and I can look into walls/shells for future prints.

Edit. Just for clarification, the walls are for the printer to print something else so the main print can cool, and also may stop cool breezes coming in and cooling it in ways you don't want (especially bad when I was just printing on the glass bed prior to blue tape! )

if its happening on one side and not the other that might also indicate a bit of a machine calibration issue like belts being loose etc.
    That thought hadn't occurred to me. could very well be a calibration issue.

Is there any definitive way to test for this?
    Last edited by broox; 11-02-2014 at 04:08 AM.