Close

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

My first 'clean' dual extrusion

Yep, after months of trying and failing (well, not failing.. but not printing out as clean as I was hoping for) I've finally managed it.
    Anyone with a dual head printer can understand how frustrating dribbling nozzles can be and all the off casts that get left behind in printing from one head to the other.

The kids have just ordered 10 for their RC Mario Kart track

Last edited by Geoff; 12-14-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Wow, nice! Congrats Geoff! This looks great!

Ye looks great!

Was this like that right after the print was done?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Ye looks great!

Was this like that right after the print was done?
    Yep, raftless and without supports. I print on a very slight angle to try and combat the seam, or stitch line I get from the X axis sometimes.

You can still see some orange dust on the heatbed where the other nozzle dragged a bit over and sort of sanded the plastic, thats my next thing to fix

Here is an example of one of my bad dual extrusions. This took hours and still, the result was less than desired..

As you can see, the black bled into the white quite significantly, which then led to the white bleeding into the black etc. This photo was taken after ALOT of cleaning up of little extrusions sticking out of the cube.

I was a massive fan of makerware but they have changed the way it operates which doesn't talk well with my printer. It prints, but yeah.. it's a little violent even at slow speeds. Tight circles it really has a problem with, almost ripping my stepper motors on each rotation.

I started really playing with replicator G, playing with the slicing settings and started to realize all the things I loved about makerware, I can make the ReplicatorG do as well, just with a little more work, and the traffic cone was the result. I mainly set the solid infils to diagonal rather than straight up and down, as repG sucks at solid fills, but makerware is better - but I also need to control the extrusion of each nozzle individually, which makerware wont let me do.

I have orange and white ABS there, they use different melting points, so I need to keep one nozzle at constant 220c, and the other nozzle at 230c, this is just not possible with makerware that I can see but replicatorG, no sweat.
    Last edited by Geoff; 12-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.