Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    if you're using s3d - it's actually easier to add an extra process and print the first few layers at 0.3 mm and then increase resolution for the rest of the model in a second process.
    That way you're not screwing with the extrusion rate.

And maybe think about adding an actually flat bed to the machine. I use an extra 3mm aluminium plate, but glass is also popular.
    And try switching to duck brand blue tape. Everything sticks to that stuff !
    Often more than I'd like :-)

s3d also daoes a nice raft that can be used for compensating for unlevel bed.

Technician
    I seem to have discovered the fix. I lowered the first layer height back down to 100% and it printed just fine. Clearly I need to stop screwing with that. I think aardvark's advice is probably what I'll follow in the future...just print the first few layers thicker and not mess with the extrusion rate.

As far as build surface, I'm using the thick glass plate that's sold by FF. I love it! I just wish I could get PLA to stick directly to it. That's one of those things that eluded me for so long I finally just gave up trying. I now use 3M blue tape which is excellent. Once the model cools it will, more often then not, pop off the bed on its own. I have to remind myself to change the tape once in a while because it'll last that long. For the problematic prints I have a roll of some generic blue tape from the local hardware store. PLA sticks to the stuff like cement. But the problem is that it sticks so well that the blue tape gets ripped to shreds pulling the print off as well as leaving bits of blue tape embedded in the model that are sometimes impossible to remove.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you can get round the over stick with blue tape. By not heating the bed - at all.

I find that with room temperature prints the pla sticks well but comes off fairly easily.

If I heat the bed - it just sticks like superglue.

I use 60C on the glass plate, and I have the 6mm glass. PLA sticks very good to it.

If I run lower than 50C I have problems with it sticking, at no heat on the bed it won't stick at all and just oozes around the extruder :P

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by roykirk View Post
    I seem to have discovered the fix. I lowered the first layer height back down to 100% and it printed just fine. Clearly I need to stop screwing with that. I think aardvark's advice is probably what I'll follow in the future...just print the first few layers thicker and not mess with the extrusion rate.

As far as build surface, I'm using the thick glass plate that's sold by FF. I love it! I just wish I could get PLA to stick directly to it. That's one of those things that eluded me for so long I finally just gave up trying. I now use 3M blue tape which is excellent. Once the model cools it will, more often then not, pop off the bed on its own. I have to remind myself to change the tape once in a while because it'll last that long. For the problematic prints I have a roll of some generic blue tape from the local hardware store. PLA sticks to the stuff like cement. But the problem is that it sticks so well that the blue tape gets ripped to shreds pulling the print off as well as leaving bits of blue tape embedded in the model that are sometimes impossible to remove.

I don't think it is ever a good idea to go over 100% even if the extruder compensates by pumping out more filament. You want that first layer to smash a little more into whatever adhesive, tape, or slurry you have applied to the build plate.

When set your z axis gap in several spots using a piece of paper that isn't the starting point of the print for the zaxis. It will move down .2mm x (first layer height percent). So .2mm x .9 = .18mm, subsequent layers will be .38, .58, .78, etc. This can all be read when looking at the Z moves in the gcode.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12