Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

frustrating first layer problem w/photo

I'm suddenly having some difficulty with sections of my first layer "bubbling." (see attached photo) At first I thought it was a bed leveling issue, but I dialed it down to the point where the nozzle was starting to gouge the blue tape and the same problem results. It never seems to be in the same spot either. If the bubbling is minimal, the rest of the layers and model print perfectly. If this was something I was printing for myself I wouldn't care, but I sell these and to have the bottom looking all scratched up and gouged (which is what the bubbling looks like from underneath) is going to cause customer complaints. Below are my settings, which haven't failed me until now -

Software - Simplify3D
    Filament - PLA 1.75 mm
    Temp - 205, bed at 50
    Surface - Blue tape on glass
    First layer - 250% height, 30% speed (normal print speed is around 55 mm/sec)

Given that this doesn't seem to be a bed leveling issue, the only thing I can think of is I've got a weird batch of PLA or a "bad" roll of blue tape. Any other ideas?
    unnamed.jpg

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Looks like you are over extruding the first layer. Why the 250% first layer height? Might have your initial nozzle clearance too close.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Looks like you are over extruding the first layer. Why the 250% first layer height? Might have your initial nozzle clearance too close.
    Based on experience mostly. I was having trouble getting my prints to stick to the 3M blue tape I have and S3D mentioned in their tech blog that increasing the layer height to 200 or 300% was sometimes helpful in getting the first layer to stick. I played around with it and found that 200 - 250 seemed to give me full "stick" 99% of the time. Maybe it's something about this particular model design and that first layer height. I'll try dialing it down a bit to see if it improves.

Super Moderator
    200-250% raises the distance between the extruder and build plate. The default 90% makes the first layer smash into the build plate a little more. 200-250% may not "smash" at all.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    200-250% raises the distance between the extruder and build plate. The default 90% makes the first layer smash into the build plate a little more. 200-250% may not "smash" at all.
    Yes, but I believe at 200% it also extrudes 100% more filament than at the normal level, right? That's what it looks like and that was the impression I got from the S3D blog. They said that higher layers like 200-300% were especially useful when printing at fine layer heights because the "extra thick" first layer helped to even out bed alignment issues and give the model a nice cushion to build on. I just know that it fixed issues I was having with first layers sticking...at least until now.

Super Moderator
    I prefer to print 4-6 floor layers. Than one big thick one.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    If the print head is too close to the print surface it will do that. It's being blocked as it travels.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Is the first layer starting distance the same thing?
    I have been trying to get an ABS print started and the raft cross layers are not even sticking to one another very well, I am using S3D , the nozzle temp is up to 240C and I have slowed the speed to 2400 mm/s

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeDuck View Post
    Is the first layer starting distance the same thing?
    I have been trying to get an ABS print started and the raft cross layers are not even sticking to one another very well, I am using S3D , the nozzle temp is up to 240C and I have slowed the speed to 2400 mm/s
    Lower the heat, 240c is too hot really unless its wood or flex filament. 230c should be fine, any hotter and it will melt the top layer because its lingering there too long. Too slow, and the same thing happens.

If the first lines being laid down are not close together, as in enough to touch eachother, the build plate needs levelling again.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    200% is fine for a first layer but only necessary of you build plate is not flat. s3d does increase the extrusion amt when you increase the first layer height to still keep your extrusion width in spec. if your build surface is flat then just keep it simple and have your first layer at 100%. if its not too flat then increase to 150 and maybe 200 but dont go over that. as geoff said it could be that your too close to the sureface. it could also be that your surface isnt clean. looks almost like there could be some contamination there and in certain areas the plastic isnt sticking to the tape. did you wipe the tape with anything before you printed on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast