Close

View Poll Results: How many kilograms of filament do you buy a month?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 maybe less maybe more but it evens out

2 20.00%
  • 2-4 I need options and like to print

5 50.00%
  • 5-10 multiple printers get pretty hungry

3 30.00%
  • 1 every couple months

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Filament, HOW MUCH DO YOU USE?

So as the title states, how much filament do you go through?
    I'm working on a project for school and need to know, on average, how much filament everyone is buying on a regular basis.

I'm going to attempt a poll but in case it doesn't work out I would like to know:

How many kilograms of filament do you buy and how often does that happen?

or

How much do you think you have bought and how long have you had your 3D printer/s?

I'm mostly interested in the numbers for 1.75mm PLA filament but if you can provide any information at all that would be extremely helpful!

Thank you all so much for any help you can give me!!

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by caroluuu View Post
    Hi ,if you need plastic Filament ,we have warehouse at US and Gemany ,could provide Premier Filament and Fast shipping.
    if you are interested ,please whats app me at 86 13823592773,
    Or sent email to me carol@magic-3d-print.com
    Thanks
    Carol
    That's awfully nice of you to try to sell him your product when all he was asking is how much people use, for a school project.

-Anyway, My printer is almost here, sometime today! It came with 2 spools of filament, so I guess whenever I use those up, I'll let ya know.

about 2 rolls for 1 week, i only use 1.75mm pla filament because pla is no smell, abs smell a little bad.
    i use our own designing 3d printer, no brand, not for sale
    use our own pla filament, it is for sale on amazon, you can check my signature LOL

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well as far as pla goes I've bought 4 1kg rolls.
    Used most of one and bits of the others.

I don't actually do a lot of volume printing at the moment.
    But I suspect as my list of things to print for christmas keeps growing. I'll get through a fair amount in december. The puzzle tube containers for the little bottles of sloe gin alone, will probably take a roll or two. And yes i know it's cruel - but it's the only way I can think of to make the stuff last :-)
    I've got 7 or 8 rolls of abs in various states of usage, a dozen or so samples of different materials and nowhere near as much time as I'd like to use it.

And pla does smell - get some white that prints at 220 - smells like maple syrup :-)

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    I have a total of three systems in my control. Two at school and one at home.

I actually just ordered like five rolls the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    That's awfully nice of you to try to sell him your product when all he was asking is how much people use, for a school project.

-Anyway, My printer is almost here, sometime today! It came with 2 spools of filament, so I guess whenever I use those up, I'll let ya know.

I was thinking the same thing! lol I look forward to hearing how fast you blow through that!

Quote Originally Posted by WillBe View Post
    about 2 rolls for 1 week, i only use 1.75mm pla filament because pla is no smell, abs smell a little bad.
    i use our own designing 3d printer, no brand, not for sale
    use our own pla filament, it is for sale on amazon, you can check my signature LOL
    Okay thanks a lot I'll look into that for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well as far as pla goes I've bought 4 1kg rolls.
    Used most of one and bits of the others.

I don't actually do a lot of volume printing at the moment.
    But I suspect as my list of things to print for christmas keeps growing. I'll get through a fair amount in december. The puzzle tube containers for the little bottles of sloe gin alone, will probably take a roll or two. And yes i know it's cruel - but it's the only way I can think of to make the stuff last :-)
    I've got 7 or 8 rolls of abs in various states of usage, a dozen or so samples of different materials and nowhere near as much time as I'd like to use it.

And pla does smell - get some white that prints at 220 - smells like maple syrup :-)
    Awesome about how long do you think it takes you to run through a kilogram of material? A few weeks? Maybe a month?

Maple syrup you say? I would get so hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    I have a total of three systems in my control. Two at school and one at home.

I actually just ordered like five rolls the other day.
    Oh wow that has to take a lot of tuning to keep three systems running!! how long do you expect those 5 rolls to last you?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I answered this in another thread im petty sure.. anyone rememeber where that other poll was?

I use about 4-5 rolls per week, all different suppliers and on 3 different machines. I can go through half-3/4 of kg per day depending on what I need to print (ie printer part kits can be 400-500 grams alone)
    The biggest consumer is probably my Kossel mini because it prints about twice as fast as the others and can really go through the roll fast.

It doesnt take alot to keep multiple printers tuned as long as you calibrate them well and build them well.

This is my overflow stock, as in all my plastic tubs are full and sealed, this is what I can't fit...

There is a downside to having alot of filament and that's my wife, but thats' a story for another day...
    photo (14).jpg
    Last edited by Geoff; 11-05-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I answered this in another thread im petty sure.. anyone rememeber where that other poll was?

I use about 4-5 rolls per week, all different suppliers and on 3 different machines. I can go through half-3/4 of kg per day depending on what I need to print (ie printer part kits can be 400-500 grams alone)
    The biggest consumer is probably my Kossel mini because it prints about twice as fast as the others and can really go through the roll fast.

It doesnt take alot to keep multiple printers tuned as long as you calibrate them well and build them well.

This is my overflow stock, as in all my plastic tubs are full and sealed, this is what I can't fit...

There is a downside to having alot of filament and that's my wife, but thats' a story for another day...
    photo (14).jpg

Okay thanks a lot for the input man! If this thread is a duplicate I apologize for that and would love to see a link to it.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post

photo (14).jpg
    Man, you go through a lot in a week! I assume you make some good profit with what you do to be going through filament like that. Would get quite expensive!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Man, you go through a lot in a week! I assume you make some good profit with what you do to be going through filament like that. Would get quite expensive!
    Thats a normal week, when I'm not printing my own stuff! if I have a project on, we're talking all 3 going all day. Profit is minimal. Quite often the ebay fees and paypal fees exceed your profit, almost making it not worth selling stuff on ebay anymore,so i'll probably start my startup soon.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast