Close

View Poll Results: In the year 2016, what percent of homes in the U.S. will have 3D Printers?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 1%

4 20.00%
  • 1-5%

1 5.00%
  • 5-10%

1 5.00%
  • 10-25%

9 45.00%
  • 25-45%

4 20.00%
  • 45-65%

1 5.00%
  • 65-85%

0 0%
  • More than 85%

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

By the Year 2016 What Percent of Homes will have 3D Printers?

In the year 2016, what percent of homes in the U.S. will have 3D Printers?

My guess is that we will see about a 50% adoption rate by 2016. Only 3 years away, but I think we will see a ton of growth in the industry in the next couple years.

Student
    Even though I love this technology to bits, I voted 1%.
    Most people don't have the knowledge to design their own objects, and I don't see a market to own a 3d printer if you just want to print models from online sources or scanners.
    If Staples really puts one printer in every store - and perhaps some other companies with FFF plastic printers - then it's a more likely scenario I think :-)

I say 5-10%. 3D printing is catching on, but I don't think it will catch on that fast.

If Staples really puts one printer in every store - and perhaps some other companies with FFF plastic printers - then it's a more likely scenario I think :-)
    That's such a brilliant idea. Even other stores like Home Depot, or grocery stores might benefit from having 3D printers in store. It would certainly bring customers in.

Engineer
    It certainly seems to be catching on like wild fire. However, I think there are too many barriers to entry, and too few people that really have a need to print much in 3D on a daily basis. It will take some time before we start seeing 3D printers in the average home.

Larry

I say about 15% of homes will have 3D printers. The majority of people will use online services and in store services I believe.

Depends, If the peachy system is getting better and better resulotions it may have a chance,

In my opinion Reprap was way to much work and it just doesnt always work without some knownledge about the device,

But if Peachy is getting improved and keeps the same amount as price goes (100-200e) i guess 15-20 procent.

But atm peachy is still low res imo.

My guess is 5%, 10% tops. I think for ready-made printers the price will have to come down to the $200US range before it starts attracting the casual user.

(I would not have become involved with 3D printing if it were not for the RepRap. I was in love with Makerbot, but it was going to take some smooth talking to get my wife onboard for $1000. I was able to source the RepRap Prusa myself "under the radar". Now my wife is all-in. But a Makerbot would still be a bit of a sell.)

Banned
    I agree with DrLuigi. If the Peachy Printer or any 3D printer can have a price point of $200 or below and actually print quality by then there will likely be no real reason not to own one. The Filament or resin prices may end up being the main barrier to entry for many. My Dream is a good quality printer for under $200 and a cheap machine which will recycle plastics to act as filament. That would eb the perfect one two punch. I think by 2016-2017 both these will likely be available. Thus I will say 25% of household will own a printer, but growing fast.

Staples was meant to be selling 3D printers - I'm sure others like office works (in Aust) will do the same.

With the Peachy - Low cost printer, the percentage to rise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast