Close

Banned
    Add jtice on Thingiverse

Possible to generate Excel Spreadsheet from gcode files?

I have a bit of an odd question (typical) haha

I have been keeping a spreadsheet of my prints, with the file name, filament used, Cura settings, how long it took to print, notes, etc.
    I would like to keep track of all my prints with it, but at times its a bit of a pain to take the time to enter all the info.

I am curious if there is a way to take individual gcode files, and import each as a row in a spreadsheet.
    And it automatically pull out the realitive info and populate the columns.

I had a little play with this. I opened Excel and selected a cell. Then I opened another window and from my Gcode files, opened one using Notebook. I did a <Control + A> and selected all; copied and pasted into the selected cell. Obviously this copied all the code which follows the set up data. I should have just copied and pasted the first part of the coding. To do what you wanted, I would have had to cut and paste each item of data into the column it needed to go into.

I suggest that the procedure should be:
    1. Open your main spreadsheet and label the columns that you want to put items of data into.
    2. Open Notebook in another window and cascade the Excel and Notebook windows.
    3. Open your G-code file in the notebook window.
    4. Copy the relevant item of data from the Notebook window and paste into its column in Excel.

It is a cruel state of affairs, but sometimes you just can't do everything automatically with computers - you have to resort to "hunt and peck"

Old Man Emu

Senior Engineer
    Your Cura settings are not stored in the Gcode file, they are only used to make the gcode file. You would have to reverse calculations to get things like layer height and stuff. Feed rate would be a real dog to calculate.

It is a job for a small C programme that makes a CSV from the Gcode file, any spreadsheet will open a CSV but you would have to copy the sheet and stick it in your main file unless your format for the whole database was kept as CSV.

It is probably easiest to save config in Cura and use that to import or link to the spreadsheet.

Senior Engineer
    As Cura saves your settings by default in current_profile.ini you can get the data from that. I use Linux so my default profile is stored in "/home/jd/cura/14.09/current_profile.ini. If you are using Micro$hite software I have no idea where it is stored but it will be somewhere.

Your starting point is to open that file and copy the first column for your headers in the excel sheet. Save the excel sheet so it will look something like this:

[profile_1]
    layer_height
    wall_thickness
    retraction_enable
    solid_layer_thickness
    fill_density
    nozzle_size
    print_speed
    print_temperature
    print_temperature2
    print_temperature3
    print_temperature4
    print_bed_temperature
    support
    platform_adhesion
    support_dual_extrusion
    wipe_tower

But it will be a lot longer.

Insert a row at the top for your model name:

Model name:
    [profile_1]
    layer_height
    wall_thickness
    retraction_enable
    solid_layer_thickness
    fill_density

Save that file as your main file.

When you have a model that you want to save the settings for you have to exit Cura in order for it to update the current_profile.ini file automatically.

Open your saved spreadsheet and select "insert > insert from file". Note I am using open office but it should be there in Excel if you are unfortunate enough to use that.

Select the current_profile.ini file from wherever it is on your computer. That will open an import dialog. Use "=" as the delimiter in order to get the data from the right side of the equal sign into its own column. It will then open a new sheet. Go to the new sheet in your spreadsheet software and select the cells that have the correct data. Note there may be more than one Profile in there, make sure you select the data from the right one, my Cura uses "Profile_1"

Copy that into the main sheet of your file and delete the new sheet that was created when you opened the profile file.

Give it a filename, probably your Gcode filename in the extra row at the top.

You end up with something like this:

Model name: wibble.gcode wobble.gcode
    [profile_1]
    layer_height 0.15 0.15
    wall_thickness 1 1
    retraction_enable True True
    solid_layer_thickness 1 1
    fill_density 0 0
    nozzle_size 0.3 0.3
    print_speed 50 50
    print_temperature 225 225
    print_temperature2 220 220
    print_temperature3 0 0
    print_temperature4 0 0
    print_bed_temperature 55 55
    support None None

You will be able to record a Macro to do the import but I doubt that an Open Office Linux Macro will work with Windo$e.

Attached is the spreadsheet I made while trying this, you can use as a starting point if it works for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 10-26-2014 at 02:44 AM.