Close

Technician

Bulldog XL Extruder

I have completed six prints now with the Bulldog Lite and E3d v6 combination. A few of them were multi hour prints. I also have designed and printed a filament spool holder that mimics the Makerfarm Unit but has bearings to ease the friction. I don't know exactly what in this combination made the most difference, but these have been the best prints I have seen since I put the i3v together. Very happy with it so far. I will post more and some pictures when I get things completely done. I am still working with a preliminary design mount and fan system that requires more work.

I ordered another Makerfarm i3v. My plan is to run that one with 3mm filament and also using a E3d. This one will be a slow build and the intent is to set it up with the bed level others have been working on. I was hoping to try out a Bulldog XL on that build, but I can't find one available in North America. The only source I could find was in Europe and that makes it pretty expensive. The few places I found it listed it was either "out of stock" or "This product no longer in stock". It is not clear to me if that is a temporary or permanent situation. I emailed RepRapDiscount, one of the suppliers, and asked and did not receive a reply.

I am curious if anyone on here knows of a viable source for the Bulldog XL or if this thing is no longer manufactured or supported?

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Awesome news CalifDan! I'm glad to hear that your prints are coming out great with the new setup, looking forward to those pictures too

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    should be able to get it from the manufacturer - reprapdiscount.com

Technician
    Thanks. Just looked and they appear to be back in stock.

Any updates on the bulldog xl? Looking to add to my i3v.

Performance, reliability?

Have issue with current stock extruder

Technician
    I see this thread and the one for the itty bitty single extrudre. What are the differences between the two? And how does this contrast to the extruder included with the i3v? Thanks

Engineer
    The Bulldog XL appears to be a direct drive extruder, while the IBSE is a belted/geared extruder. The IBSE is more like the extruder that came with the i3v, except instead of gears that mesh together, a belt is used.

Technician
    I am still not in a position to evaluate the Bulldog XL. I got another MakerFarm in December but putting it together is not moving quickly. I did design and print a carrier for the Bulldog XL, but the rest of the printer is not together enough to test. It might be a few more months also, as I am purposely doing this build slow to incorporate various ideas.

However, I have been using the Bulldog Lite with an E3d and it is a super combination. I think in 5 months now I have had two jambs. Both were my fault. Otherwise, this thing just chugs along doing a great job.

Both Bulldogs are direct drive. The XL is geared. Using the Lite with 1.75 mm filament, the only time the filament feed stalls on the feed gear is when I either have the heat too low or repeated retraction with very little feed on a small part is occurring (this is a more common issue). I have experimented with settings and have gotten much better at finding the sweet spot for various parts.

Again, sorry I have not made enough progress with the Bulldog XL yet to report.

Engineer
    look into the Bondtech v2 extruder before you get the bulldog

http://www.bondtech.se/