Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post makerware drives off the edge of the buildplate

When I print with makerware, the first printed line starts a few cm from the right and it tries to go off the left edge of the build plate resulting in clicking.

After this there is no material extruded for the beginning of my models for the first few seconds. which soon gets replaced by infill anyway.

I made a model to test if my prints print in the center of the build plate (the center screw on the aluminium plate)
    replicatorG is calibrated to print right on center.
    Makerbot: prints 4mm to the left of the center screw

What can I do to fix this? Is the makerware ussing a different homing reference to the onboard stored settings? And does makerware think the buildplate is bigger than it is?

When I connect to makerware it is detected as "The replicator" I do not seem to be able to change this.

Maybe if you don't know how to help me have a look at the following settings and see if yours are close to mine and maybe you will tell me that one of my values is way out.

THANKS

btw Dual head prints line up with each other.

Specs:
    -FF creator
    -Sailfish 7.7
    - Homing/VREFS:
    • x home offset(mm) 148.492
    • y home offset = 74.995
    • a home offset =-0.01
    • b home offset =-0.01
    • x toolhead offset 0
    • y toolhead offset 0
    • vref pot. 0=118
    • pot 1= 118
    • pot 2= 40
    • pot 3= 118
    • pot 4=118

-MakerBot Desktop Beta 3.2.2.47
    -eeprom_map_7.7_0x80.json
    -device preferences: Axis home positions steps:
    • X = 13979 steps
    • y= 7060 steps
    • Z=A=B= 4294967295 steps

-T0 Database
    • P Term 7.00
    • I Term 0.33
    • D Term 36.00

-T1 Databasr : same values as T0
    -ReplicatorG - Sailfish 0040r28

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    put the head temp up - sounds like your filament is too cold.

And the left to right is to clear the nozzles. Works a lot better than the simplify3d thing that just spits it into the case.

When I connect to makerware it is detected as "The replicator" I do not seem to be able to change this.
    Should be Replicator dual - but as that's what the machine is - no you can't change it :-)

Makerbot: prints 4mm to the left of the center screw
    So either ignore it - or if you're really anal move everything 4mm to the right - that takes about 10 seconds :-)
    Can't say I ever measured or noticed. So maybe they all do that.

And try and get hold of makerware - not makerware desktop. It's much much better.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    put the head temp up - sounds like your filament is too cold.

And the left to right is to clear the nozzles. Works a lot better than the simplify3d thing that just spits it into the case.

Should be Replicator dual - but as that's what the machine is - no you can't change it :-)

So either ignore it - or if you're really anal move everything 4mm to the right - that takes about 10 seconds :-)
    Can't say I ever measured or noticed. So maybe they all do that.

And try and get hold of makerware - not makerware desktop. It's much much better.
    Actually sounds like the same problem I had with makerware desktop, it wasnt anything to do with the printing temperature.. it was the incompatibility between my firmware and makerware desktop as opposed to makerware makerware.
    This is why I dont upgrade. I have read up on simplyfy3d too, and right now it doesn't do alot I can't do myself so I'm going to hold off until they improve it a bit more and I can get a program that actually does do it all in one.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Thanks.

I wasn't too worried about it not printing in the center. I just thought it might help diagnose the problem of the printer trying to go beyond the X axis limits with that first initial line makerbot desktop draws with every print.

What am I looking for with makerware makerware? Can you point me somewhere. Maybe I can google the exact version number you recommend?

Makerbot desktop seems to print ok btw it just goes off the edge at the beginning and the motor makes lots of clicking as it tries to go beyond the X limits.

Any ideas what "Axis home positions steps" : "X = 13979 steps "refers to in the makerbot machine info?

Also is it possible I put the wrong firmware and my machine thinks it is the replicator instead of the replicator dual?

I found some links to makerware 2.4 and earlier https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ot/Bkk-lxveXk4 What version would you use?

Hmm Maybe I've understood the problem wrong. The clicking can't be because the carriage is going too far to the left. Since it stops only 1mm off the edge and is capable of going much further off the build plate without clicking.

Instead the clicking must be from the extruder trying to retract the filament at that point. Or perhaps failing to extrude... If it is trying to extrude, I am not sure why it fails at this point in the machine, so it must be retracting since that doesn't happen any other time during my prints.

It would make sense also that the clicking is the extruder trying to retract filament because at first there is no filament extruded for the 1st couple of seconds after the printer finishes drawing the initial line. Perhaps there is too much retraction going on and that leaves no filament to be extruded for the beginning of the print.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadobaby View Post
    Hmm Maybe I've understood the problem wrong. The clicking can't be because the carriage is going too far to the left. Since it stops only 1mm off the edge and is capable of going much further off the build plate without clicking.

Instead the clicking must be from the extruder trying to retract the filament at that point. Or perhaps failing to extrude... If it is trying to extrude, I am not sure why it fails at this point in the machine, so it must be retracting since that doesn't happen any other time during my prints.

It would make sense also that the clicking is the extruder trying to retract filament because at first there is no filament extruded for the 1st couple of seconds after the printer finishes drawing the initial line. Perhaps there is too much retraction going on and that leaves no filament to be extruded for the beginning of the print.
    Yep, sounds like you got it. What is your current retraction rate and speed?
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

more testing. It doesn't happen when I use the right nozzle, only the left. I might try swapping the filaments around to see if its just the Filament/color that is the problem.

I couldn't find the retraction setting. There were 2 settings in a custom profile, but I will leave them alone till I test the reel swap first.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    never had retraction clicking. But ignore the temps it says on the filament.

I've got some white pla that needs 225 to print smoothly. Won't extrude at all at 195.

I think I'm using makerware 2.42
    Not in the workshop at the moment. I'll check later, I can probably email it to you - don't think it was a huge download.

Simplify3d - does do things no other software out there does. You can mix infill and resolution rate within a single print or have different settings for different models in the same print.

The only thing it's not great at currently is dual extrusion. But every time I try that I run into one issue or another (currently uneven nozzles) so that's not currently a major issue and is being fixed for the next update apparently.

It's probably the second piece of software I've bought in the last 10 years - opensource rules. But I'd say it's worth it in the long term.

I had uneven nozzles. I got them much better by tightening/loosening the 2 screws beneath the carriage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast