Close

Technician

New FF Pro firmware question

Hi all,

I recently had to have my old PowerSpec 3D X printer replaced under warranty. The store didn't have the 3D X, so they let me return that printer and purchase a 3DPro as a replacement. If you have to panic for a weekend about a dead printer, that's not a bad resolution to the problem, I suppose.

When I unboxed the printer, the first thing I did was go to level the bed. The leveling utility centered the head, brought up the bed, and then just said 'Press M when level'. I went to the book, which said to manually move the extruder around and level the bed. This is as compared to the multiple automatic moves to level the head in the 3D X.

I started to look around the tools on the system and I see that it recognizes folders, it recognizes and scrolls long file names, and it supports ditto print.

My question is (does our Flash Forge guy still pop in to the forum on occasion?), did they switch to Sailfish firmware at some recent point, or did the Makerbot/Flash Forge firmware just get updated to include some of the Sailfish features? I got the new Pro on 10/13. I looked at some of the system info screens, but don't know what identifiers to look for to indicate it might be Sailfish firmware.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

Cheers,

John

Mine came with Sailfish, bought early this month.

Most 'important' Sailfish features are already included in the Makerware (=Flashforge) firmware.
    The reason why Makerware is still 'missing' some features is because the firmware-space on the PCB is limited, and Makerware includes 'leveling help' and 'first run' scripts.

But since you have folder support, ditto printing, and no leveling help: you are running Sailfish.
    If you want to use another firmware, that is possible.
    See: http://www.makerbot.com/sailfish/install/
    Same steps apply for installing other firmware.

If any other questions just ask away! And good luck with printing, show us what your progress if you want to!

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg56 View Post
    Hi all,

I recently had to have my old PowerSpec 3D X printer replaced under warranty. The store didn't have the 3D X, so they let me return that printer and purchase a 3DPro as a replacement. If you have to panic for a weekend about a dead printer, that's not a bad resolution to the problem, I suppose.

When I unboxed the printer, the first thing I did was go to level the bed. The leveling utility centered the head, brought up the bed, and then just said 'Press M when level'. I went to the book, which said to manually move the extruder around and level the bed. This is as compared to the multiple automatic moves to level the head in the 3D X.

I started to look around the tools on the system and I see that it recognizes folders, it recognizes and scrolls long file names, and it supports ditto print.

My question is (does our Flash Forge guy still pop in to the forum on occasion?), did they switch to Sailfish firmware at some recent point, or did the Makerbot/Flash Forge firmware just get updated to include some of the Sailfish features? I got the new Pro on 10/13. I looked at some of the system info screens, but don't know what identifiers to look for to indicate it might be Sailfish firmware.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

Cheers,

John
    Yep, the leveling script is old school. To get the bed absolutely level sometimes you have to go around the plate a few times. It is easier and faster to push the print head around manually than to go through the script multiple times.

Student
    The LCD screen does tell you it has Sailfish 7.7, but you have to be quick to get from round the back, switching on, to see it!